March 25, 2022
Thank you for your continued partnership as we continue to keep our schools safe and open in the spring 2022 semester. Through your ongoing support and cooperation, we have significantly reduced our seven-day COVID-19 positivity rate to 0.10 percent.
While we’re celebrating the safety of our schools, we’ve also made strides to celebrate our school communities. In February, we created additional space to celebrate Black History Month in our schools.. This month we are emphasizing Women’s History Month by showing our next generation of leaders how women in our school community and our nation have shattered barriers, and pushed our nation toward a more just society.
This week, we have a few updates to share on our updated masking policy and upcoming breaks.
Updated Masking Policy
On March 9, 2022, Green Dot Public Schools California distributed a parent survey to help inform our mask mandate policy through April 29th, 2022. We received thousands of responses from our families and students in support of keeping our indoor mask mandate policy.
Moving forward, all Green Dot California schools will not require masks outdoors, but will continue to require masks indoors through April 29th. We will use health and safety data and public health guidance to determine whether or not to change our mask policy in the near future.
Observing Cesar Chavez Day and Spring Break
Our campuses will close for the observance of Cesar Chavez Day on Thursday, March 31, 2022. Our schools will reopen on Friday, April 1, 2022.
In April, our schools will be closed for spring break for two weeks, from Monday, April 11, 2022 to Friday April 22, 2022. Our schools will resume instruction on Monday, April 25, 2022. Upon return from spring break, we will require families to provide evidence of negative COVID-19 tests for their children. Please look out for additional safe school reopening information shortly.
Families, we look forward to working with you throughout the remainder of this school year. Together, we will continue to help prepare your child for success in college, leadership, and life.
Dr. Cristina de Jesus,
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
- Full day, in-person instruction — five days a week.
- New health and safety protocols to keep your child safe.
- More social, academic, and emotional support for your child.
- Transparent data on Covid-19 testing available to all stakeholders.
- New, personalized accelerated learning opportunities.
Health & Safety
Click here for up-to-date Covid-19 data across our schools.
Click here to see our the Covid-19 health and safety policies for our schools.
Click here to see our Covid-19 health and safety policies for our teachers and staff.
Click here to see our Covid-19 health and safety policies for our students.
Click here for Los Angeles County Department of Public Health information on Covid-19 vaccines.
What You Can Expect This School Year
Please visit https://www.211la.org/resources for a directory of resources by category or call 211 for individual support finding the resources you need!
Employment Development Department
The EDD provides a variety of support services to people who have lost their jobs, had their hours reduced, or had their businesses affected due to the impacts of COVID-19 in California.
Learn about the rights of undocumented workers here >> https://legalaidatwork.org/factsheet/undocumented-workers-employment-rights/
Resources for workers >>
If you become ill due to COVID-19:
If you’re unable to work due to having or being exposed to COVID-19 (certified by a medical professional), you can file a Disability Insurance (DI) claim. DI provides short-term benefit payments to eligible workers who have a full or partial loss of wages due to a non-work-related illness, injury, or pregnancy. Benefit amounts are approximately 60-70 percent of wages (depending on income) and range from $50-$1,300 a week.
Learn about the rights of undocumented workers here: https://legalaidatwork.org/factsheet/undocumented-workers-employment-rights/
If your child’s school is closed, and you have to miss work to be there for them, you may be eligible for Unemployment Insurance benefits. Eligibility considerations include if you have no other care options and if you are unable to continue working your normal hours remotely.
If your employer has reduced your hours or shut down operations due to COVID-19, you can file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim. UI provides partial wage replacement benefit payments to workers who lose their job or have their hours reduced, through no fault of their own.
The Governor’s Executive Order waives the one-week unpaid waiting period, so you can collect UI benefits for the first week you are out of work. If you are eligible, the EDD processes and issues payments within a few weeks of receiving a claim.
LA's New Job Portal:
Central and East LA
Boyle Heights WorkSource
1505 East 1st Street, Los Angeles CA 90033
Wilshire WorkSource Center
3550 Wilshire Boulevard, #500, Los Angeles CA 90010
South and West Los Angeles
Watts WorkSource Center 2220 East 114th Street, Los Angeles CA 90059
Vernon Central at LATTC WorkSource Center
400 West Washington Boulevard, Los Angeles CA 90015
South LA WorkSource Center
1512 W Slauson Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90047
Get Ready for Taxes: What’s new and what to consider when filing in 2021
The current deadline to file taxes for 2020 is April 15, 2021.
File Your Federal Taxes Online for Free
LA-HOP is designed to assist people experiencing homelessness in LA County with outreach services
Families with Children:
- Metro LA: PATH → 323-644-2200
- East LA: The Whole Child → 562-204-0640
- South LA: SSG/HOPICS → 323-948-0444
- West LA: St. Joseph’s Center → 310-694-6035
Youth (If you are a young person living on your own and need stable housing.)
- Metro LA: LA LGBT Center → 323-860-3619
- East LA: Jovenes, Inc. → 323-260-8035 x102
- South LA: CRCD (Coalition for Responsible Community Development) → 213-743-6193
- West LA: Safe Place for Youth (Venice) → 310-902-2283
135 North Mission Road Los Angeles, CA 90033
Hours: After 4 pm until space is exhausted
8770 S Broadway Los Angeles, CA 90003
Phone: (213) 529-0926
3804 Broadway Place Los Angeles, CA 90037
954 Koleeta Drive, Harbor City
25520 Woodward Ave., Lomita
LA City Covid Housing Resources
Resources for Tenants >> https://hcidla2.lacity.org/residents
Legal Aid Foundation Los Angeles:
Los Angeles Homeless Service Authority (LAHSA)
LAHSA is working with the City of Los Angeles, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health along with the Department of Health Services, Department of Mental Health and other key Federal partners to promote effective hygiene, to prevent and address potential Coronavirus infections among those experiencing homelessness, and how to keep staff safe.
Call at 800-548-6047
211 LA Food Resource Directory >> https://211la.org/resources/subcategory/food
A web and mobile app that helps you find your closest food bank.
An online food locator that can find a nearby food pantry.
Healthy, affordable grab and go meals are available for purchase at 7 Stores that remain open across LA County. These sites offer curbside pick-up or delivery within a 3 mile radius.
- Apply for Calfresh in 10 minutes - get up to $192 a month per household member on an EBT card.
- Apply for WIC Online or text APPLY to 91997.
The WIC program, which provides cash assistance for groceries to pregnant and postpartum women and families with children under age 5, has recently established an “Apply by text” option. Immigration status does not affect eligibility.
Los Angeles County
Get in touch with an operator who can connect you with free resources, including childcare.
New Freedom - Transportation Resources in Los Angeles County
A list of transportation resources available in LA County
New Freedom Transportation Hotline: 1-888-863-7411
- Free access to L’il Libros worksheets for kids
- Free KCET PBS programming organized by grade level
- Scholastic offers free, online learning experiences for kids of all ages
- Virtual Trips:
- San Diego Zoo has a website just for kids with amazing videos, activities, and games. Enjoy the tour!
- Yellowstone National Park Virtual Field Trip: Mud Volcano, Mammoth Hot Springs, and so much more: Yellowstone National Park!
- Explore the surface of Mars on the Curiosity Rover They are updating from WEBVR to WEBXR now, but 360 Mode offers a digital view!
- Animal Cameras : Live Cams at the San Diego Zoo, Monterey Bay Aquarium live cams, Panda Cam at Zoo Atlanta, 6 Animal Cams at Houston Zoo, Georgia Aquarium has Jellyfish, Beluga Whales, and more
- Virtual Farm Tour FarmFood 360 offers 11 Virtual Tours of farms from minks, pigs, and cows, to apples and eggs.
- Discovery Education Virtual Field Trips, including Polar Bears and the Tundra, Social Emotional Skills, STEM, Manufacturing
- The Louvre:Travel to Paris, France to see amazing works of art at The Louvre with this virtual field trip
- The Great Wall of China: This Virtual Tour of the Great Wall of China is beautiful and makes history come to life.
- Boston Children’s Museum: Walk through the Boston Children’s Museum thanks to Google Maps!
CHIRLA-Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights LA: https://www.chirla.org/
Catholic Charities LA Immigration Services: https://catholiccharitiesla.org/immigration-services/
Immigrants Rising Education Hub: https://immigrantsrising.org/
LA County Office of Immigrant Affairs: https://oia.lacounty.gov/
LA City Office of Immigrant Affairs: https://www.lamayor.org/sites/g/files/wph1781/files/page/file/Updated%20Comm%20Resource%20Guide%20Sep%202020%20Spanish%20-%20FINAL%20R%20%281%29.pdf
- CHIRLA-Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights LA: https://www.chirla.org/
- Catholic Charities LA Immigration Services: https://catholiccharitiesla.org/immigration-services/
Covid Testing & Treatment for Uninsured LA County Residents
SAME-DAY COVID-19 TESTS NOW AVAILABLE FOR ALL LA COUNTY RESIDENTS SHOWING COVID-19 SYMPTOMS
Here are the steps for getting a test appointment:
- Visit the website https://covid19.lacounty.gov/testing/
- Answer a series of questions. The answers determine if you are eligible for an appointment.
- If you are eligible, you will receive an appointment confirmation number by email.
- Bring the confirmation number and photo ID to your appointment.
- People with no access to the Internet can dial 2-1-1 for help making an appointment.
- People without a car can be tested as long as they have an appointment. The sites can accommodate pedestrians.
- There are NO walk-up appointments available for people who do not register.
- For a full list of locations and answers to questions about testing, go to https://covid19.lacounty.gov/testing/.
The following factors do not affect eligibility for a COVID-19 test:
- Immigration status
- Insurance status
- Underlying health issues
Find Vaccination Sites: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/acd/ncorona2019/vaccine/HCWSignup/
The County of Los Angeles advises anyone with flu-like symptoms to call their doctor or 2-1-1 to see if they need testing; you should not visit any healthcare facility without checking that it is safe for you to do so.
Call to find a nearby health clinic or for questions about health insurance enrollment, including Medi-Cal. Serves people of all ages and schools across LA County. Leave a message and a Health Care Advocate will call you back Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm.
St. John’s Well Child and Family Center
Find a clinic in your area
Metro LA/East LA:
Jefferson High School Wellness Center: Operated by South Central Family Health Center (SCFHC)
3410 S. Hooper Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90011
Fremont Wellness Center: Operated by UMMA Community Clinic
7821 S. Avalon Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90003
UMMA Community Clinic
711 West Florence Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90044
Watts Healthcare Corporation
10300 S. Compton Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90002
Crenshaw High School Wellness Center: Operated by T.H.E. Health & Wellness Centers
3206 W. 50th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90043
South Bay Family Healthcare-Dr. Claudia Hampton Clinic
1091 South La Brea Avenue, Inglewood, CA 90301
West LA Area:
Venice Family Clinic-Lou Colen Children’s Health & Wellness Center
4700 Inglewood Boulevard, #101, Culver City, CA 90230
Venice Family Clinic-Milken Family Foundation Medical Building
604 Rose Avenue, Venice, CA 90291
Venice Family Clinic-Robert Levine Family Health Center
905 Venice Boulevard, Venice, CA 90291
Aids people who are having difficulty coping with the stresses and crises which arise in daily living. Monday - Sunday open 10 p.m. 6 a.m.
Text: TEEN to 839863
Aids teens who are having difficulty coping with the stresses and crises which arise in daily living. Monday - Sunday open 10 p.m. 6 a.m.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Connects you with a crisis worker, available 24/7.
Crisis Text Line
LA to 741741
Connect with a crisis counselor to receive confidential crisis support via text 24/7.
Trevor Project Line
Text: START to 678678
24/7 support for LGBTQ youth in crisis.
LA County Department of Mental Health Access Line: Call 1-800-854-7771
24/7 helpline and crisis counseling.
California Youth Crisis Line: Call or text 1-800-843-5200
24/7 crisis intervention counseling referrals for youth 12-24 and their families.
If you’re worried about quarantining in a home where you don’t feel safe, 24/7 help is available from the National Domestic Violence Hotline. Call 1-800-799-7233 or text LOVEIS to 22522.
Call or Text 9-1-1 in an emergency
Los Angeles County Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-540-4000
Los Angeles County Elderly Abuse Hotline: 1-877-477-3646
National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-467
If you have recently lost your job, even if you are receiving unemployment benefits, you may qualify for 20% off your natural gas bill with our CARE program.
Southern California Edison
CARE and FERA can reduce your monthly bills
Information about SoCal Energy Service Disconnections and Late Fees
Information about SoCal Gas Service Disconnections
Information about 60 days of free wifi from Spectrum for low income families with children K-12- call 844-488-8395 to enroll
Information on Verizon late fees during this time
Information about DWP Disconnections
Information about AT&T late fees and disconnections
Information about Comcast free internet essentials, late fees, unlimited data, etc.