Our school is currently providing instruction through distance learning. We are also offering limited in-person instruction using a hybrid learning model for select grades. Distance Learning Bell Schedule >> ; Hybrid Learning Bell Schedule >>
Nuestra escuela actualmente brinda instrucción a distancia. También ofrecemos instrucción en persona utilizando un modelo de aprendizaje híbrido para el noveno grado. Modelo híbrido >> ; Aprendizaje a distancia>>
We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population in Los Angeles, California. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life.
A Message from the Principal
Welcome to Ánimo Jackie Robinson Charter High School (AJR)!
A part of the Green Dot Public Schools California network, we are a charter high school established in July 2006 with a mission of transforming the way young adults are educated in the inner city of South Los Angeles. Green Dot Public Schools is a Charter Management Organization (CMO) that operates 24 public secondary schools in Los Angeles and Memphis serving over 13,000 students across the nation. Green Dot is a non-profit organization that seeks to transform public education in historically-underserved urban communities in order to provide students with increased access to a rigorous college-prep education. In doing this, Green Dot’s mission is to ensure that all students graduate prepared for college, leadership and life.
Our school community is situated just east of the University of Southern California. To date, we have had 14 graduating classes of approximately 145 students each. Our current enrollment is approximately 630 students in grades 9-12. Demographically, we serve a population of low income minority students, most of whom will become first generation college students. Our population is 93% Latino and 7% African American, with over 98% of students qualifying for free and reduced lunch. This school year, 13% of our students have special needs, and 13% are English Learners.
Our school is a Proposition 39 school, co-located on the campus of William J. Clinton Middle School, a Los Angeles Unified school. We have been able to establish a positive, cohesive relationship with the staff and students at Clinton, primarily due to our collaboration, consistency, and the fact that most of our students attended Clinton during grades six, seven, and eight.
Our intention is to continue working to carry out our school mission and to provide an education for our community that will equip our resilient, self-reliant, and compassionate students with the skills necessary for success in college, career, and their adult lives.
In our brief history, we have been able to establish an authentic, family environment, where students and adults feel that they are part of a community aimed at nurturing their success. Each year we traditionally enroll about 30 students who are in some way related to our current students or recent graduates.
AJR offers a comprehensive college-preparatory academic program. All students are enrolled in courses that meet the A-G requirements for the California State University/University of California college systems. All senior students must apply to at least three California State Universities as a graduation requirement. Our aim is that all our students graduate college-ready, having completed our A-G program with a C or better grade in each A-G course. Although we have not yet achieved that goal 100%, we are increasing the number of students graduating college-ready each year. In 2019-20, we were able to have a 76% A-G graduation rate. At AJR we offer a significant number of Honors and AP courses to our advanced students in an effort to increase their college-readiness. We also offer a comprehensive Special Education program and a substantial intervention program for struggling learners. We pride ourselves on the fact that we have established a safe, nurturing yet challenging, academic environment for all students, especially our students with special needs, who have been able to succeed academically throughout our history, including being accepted at and enrolling in California State universities and local community colleges.
As Principal of Animo Jackie Robinson for going on eight years, I am both proud and humbled by the accomplishments of our students and teachers. I encourage anyone to come and visit our school, get to know our community and join the family. As all our alumni state with pride: “Once a Monarch, always a Monarch!”
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
Dr. Cristina de Jesus
News & Announcements
Take the California Healthy Kids SurveyRead More >>
For 17 years, Green Dot Public Schools has dedicated itself to creating positive, academically rigorous public schools in neighborhoods across the country that are in highest need of quality school options. We are proud of the work we’ve done to serve high school and middle school students in Los Angeles, Memphis, and Tacoma. This week we…Read More >>
Attention AJR alumni, parents and students! Ánimo Jackie Robinson is hosting a 10 Year Anniversary celebration on Saturday, October 22. Join us for lunch and the opportunity to share your favorite AJR memories throughout the last ten years. The program will go from 2:30-4 pm. All are welcome!Read More >>
Latest Updates from Ánimo Jackie Robinson
- Nine Green Dot High Schools Ranked Best in the U.S.Nine Green Dot Public Schools rank among the best in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report’s 2020 Best High School Rankings. Most notably, Ánimo Leadership Charter High School is ranked in the top 1% of high schools in the nation, as well as the best high school in its district. Ánimo Inglewood, Ánimo Pat Brown and Oscar De La Hoya ... read more
- Green Dot Celebrates International Women’s Day10 Stories that highlight women’s excellence in education. International Women’s Day recognizes the contributions of women across the world. In celebration of the global holiday, we’ve rounded up 10 articles and videos that highlight the impact that women have had on education and equitability at Green Dot Public Schools. ... read more
- Difference Makers: How Jackie Robinson Broke Barriers with PersistenceDuring Black History Month, Green Dot Public Schools is celebrating the accomplishments of four African-American groundbreakers. Each of these pioneers have demonstrated a passion for excellence, upheld professional responsibilities, and supported educational opportunities for the next generation of students. A baseball player, executive, and an African-American bank cofounder, Jackie Roosevelt Robinson repeatedly broke the color barrier throughout his life. Robinson became the ... read more
- LA Rams Award Green Dot Coaches with $2,000Ánimo Jackie Robinson Charter High School’s 40-student football team has won three CIF Los Angeles 8-Man Division Football Championships consecutively. Photo Credit: LACIFS/Twitter This winter, the Los Angeles Rams awarded Alain LeRoy Locke College Preparatory Academy and Ánimo Jackie Robinson Charter High School (AJR) with $2,000 each in honor of ... read more
- Jewish Journal: L.A. Charter High Schoolers Learn About the Holocaust by Meeting a SurvivorPhoto courtesy of the Jewish Journal More than 100 10th graders from Ánimo Jackie Robinson Charter High School (AJR) gathered May 9 to listen to Holocaust survivor Rita Lurie’s story of how she survived in Poland. Lurie’s daughter, Leslie Gilbert-Lurie also attended and spoke on behalf of her mother at the event hosted by the nonprofit Facing History and Ourselves, which provides Holocaust, ... read more