We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population in the Florence-Firestone neighborhood of Los Angeles, California. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life.
A Message from the Principal
Welcome to Ánimo Pat Brown Charter High School! APB is committed to changing the landscape of public education so that every child can be successful in college, leadership, and life. We proudly serve the Florence-Firestone neighborhood and surrounding communities, providing free, high quality, college-prep education. Whether you are a parent looking for a small school with a culture of learning for your child, a community member looking to help change lives through education, or an educator looking to join a collaborative teaching and learning organization, we are eager to hear from you and happy to answer any questions you may have.
Brian Reed, Principal
Bienvenido a Ánimo Pat Brown Charter High School! APB esta comprometido a cambiar el panorama de la educación pública para que todos los niños pueden tener éxito en la universidad, el liderazgo y la vida. Estamos orgullosos de servir a el área de Florence-Firestone y las comunidades circundantes, proporcionando alta calidad de educación y de preparación universitaria gratuita. Si usted es un padre en busca de una pequeña escuela con una cultura de aprendizaje para su hijo, un miembro de la comunidad en busca de ayudar a cambiar vidas a través de la educación, o un educador que quieran unirse a una enseñanza de colaboración y organización de aprendizaje, nosotros estamos deseosos de saber de usted y dispuestos a responder a cualquier pregunta que pueda tener.
Brian Reed, Principal
Join us for Coffee with the Principal meetings, every 1st Tuesday of the month from 10:30 - 11:30am.
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
Dr. Cristina de Jesus
News & Announcements
Every day, when Ánimo Pat Brown Charter High School senior Viviana Hernandez drives home from school, she’s reminded of a persistent community problem: potholes. In the worst potholes, her car tire drops in, hits the pothole wall, and shakes the car as it struggles to move forward. It’s a constant annoyance that’s damaging her car, but where…
This spring Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) District 7 Board Member Dr. Richard Vladovic honored educators from over 150 schools in his district at the Heroes in Education Award Ceremony. These educators were honored for their achievements in creating opportunities for student success, and making their schools and communities a better place for the families they serve.…
Did you know that Ánimo Pat Brown supports our students even after they graduate? A group of teachers called Alumni Champions provide alumni with the guidance they need to enroll in and graduate from college. Often, our students are the first in their family to attend college. This added pressure alongside the difficulty of adjusting…
APB Junior Londy Hernandez guest-authored a piece for the Green Dot Public Schools blog. Hernandez, a Gryphon Gazette Student Editor, recently featured two classmates in her article for the Gazette entitled, “How Students Connect to the Natural World.” In the piece, Hernandez describes how NatureBridge, an environmental science program located in the mountains of Santa…
After witnessing the devastating effects of Hurricane Harvey on the community of Houston and Southeast Texas, Student Council members at Ánimo Pat Brown Charter High School (APB) raised over a thousand dollars to donate to the United Way of Greater Houston, to help those impacted. “In the past, student council’s Community Outreach Committee has organized toy drives and blood…
Thousands of education leaders congregated in Austin, Texas for SXSWedu, an annual conference which fosters innovation in education by hosting diverse and energetic stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds. Over the 4 days, the education community connects, collaborates, creates and changes how we all teach and learn. Green Dot Public Schools hosted a panel discussion on Tuesday,…
Today we are excited to learn that two of Green Dot Public Schools California’s high schools, Ánimo Inglewood and Ánimo Leadership, have received a Gold Ribbon Schools Award from the California State Board of Education. Ánimo Inglewood and Ánimo Leadership join Ánimo Pat Brown in the honor of receiving the State’s highest recognition for educational…
For 17 years, Green Dot Public Schools has dedicated itself to creating positive, academically rigorous public schools in neighborhoods across the country that are in highest need of quality school options. We are proud of the work we’ve done to serve high school and middle school students in Los Angeles, Memphis, and Tacoma. This week we…
Latest Updates from Ánimo Pat Brown
- SBAC Results Show Green Dot Schools Achieve Breakthrough in Student GrowthSouth LA students are achieving some of the best academic growth in the state, according to state test and academic growth models from CORE, a network of the nine largest school districts across California. CORE student growth percentiles show significant growth and achievement for Green Dot Public Schools’ students, a network of Title I public charter schools founded in 1999, when it first ... read more
- Five Green Dot Schools Up For Renewal Are All Re-authorizedSeveral schools across South LA were renewed this week, helping keep more high quality public options for these historically underserved neighborhoods. Green Dot Public Schools’ network of secondary schools in California had five schools under scrutiny this week--and all five were renewed! In a unanimous vote of the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) Board of Education, Ánimo Venice Charter High School, Ánimo ... read more
- Art: ‘Portrait of Francisco Rodriguez Mancilla’ by Jennifer Rodriguez PelayoThis piece was part of the Ánimo Voices Competition, which invited students to write about innovators, upstanders, visionaries, or rebels that have made a difference in their local or broader communities. The competition was an opportunity to motivate, recognize, and celebrate our strong student voices through writing and art. Portrait of Francisco Rodriguez Mancilla by Jennifer Rodriguez Pelayo, Ánimo Pat Brown Charter ... read more
- Seven Green Dot High Schools Rank in U.S. News & World Report’s BestWe have a lot to celebrate this week: over the weekend we honored 10 Green Dot educators and staff at the Sixth Annual Golden Dot Awards, we’re currently celebrating National Teacher Appreciation Week, and today we are pleased that seven of Green Dot’s high schools have been awarded medals by U.S. News & World Report’s Best High Schools 2018 report. The report recognizes seven ... read more
- Living to Serve: An Educator’s 15-Year JourneyFor Nat Pickering, history teacher at Ánimo Pat Brown Charter High School (APB), teaching isn’t just a job, it's a calling -- the thing he was destined to do. “Teaching is in my blood,” joked Pickering. “My dad was a high school teacher, my grandpa was a dean, my mom is a social worker, and I had ... read more