Our schools are currently providing instruction through distance learning. We're providing digital learning & devices for every student. Learn more >>
Nuestras escuelas actualmente dan instrucción a distancia. Aprendizaje digital y dispositivos para cada estudiante. Aprende más >>
We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population in the Florence-Firestone neighborhood of Los Angeles, California. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life.
A Message from the Principal
Welcome to Ánimo Pat Brown Charter High School! APB is committed to changing the landscape of public education so that every child can be successful in college, leadership, and life. We proudly serve the Florence-Firestone neighborhood and surrounding communities, providing free, high quality, college-prep education. Whether you are a parent looking for a small school with a culture of learning for your child, a community member looking to help change lives through education, or an educator looking to join a collaborative teaching and learning organization, we are eager to hear from you and happy to answer any questions you may have.
Brian Reed, Principal
Join us for Coffee with the Principal meetings, every 1st Tuesday of the month from 10:30 - 11:30am.
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
Dr. Cristina de Jesus
News & Announcements
Take the California Healthy Kids Survey
Every day, when Ánimo Pat Brown Charter High School senior Viviana Hernandez drives home from school, she’s reminded of a persistent community problem: potholes. In the worst potholes, her car tire drops in, hits the pothole wall, and shakes the car as it struggles to move forward. It’s a constant annoyance that’s damaging her car, but where…
This spring Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) District 7 Board Member Dr. Richard Vladovic honored educators from over 150 schools in his district at the Heroes in Education Award Ceremony. These educators were honored for their achievements in creating opportunities for student success, and making their schools and communities a better place for the families they serve.…
Latest Updates from Ánimo Pat Brown
- How a NY Times Best-Selling Author Amplified Our Students’ AchievementsCommunity Education Panel: Show Them You're Good from Green Dot Public Schools on Vimeo. It’s not everyday that a best-selling author wants to document your road to college. In his recent book Show Them You’re Good: A Portrait of Boys in the City of Angels the Year Before College, Jeff Hobbs depicted the senior year experiences of a small group ... read more
- 13 Green Dot Students Awarded $20,000 Dell ScholarshipsAfter a competitive round of national applications, 13 Green Dot Public School students were accepted into the prestigious Dell Scholars Program. Funded by the Susan & Michael Dell Foundation, the Dell Scholars program equips 500 students with a Dell Laptop, textbook credits, academic resources, mentorship opportunities—and a $20,000 scholarship. “We have exceptional and talented students all across our Green Dot network of ... read more
- My government students usually register and educate voters — in person. Here’s how we’re adapting.My government students usually register and educate voters — in person. Here’s how we’re adapting was originally published by Chalkbeat, a nonprofit news organization covering public education. Sign up for their newsletters here. By Joel Snyder, Chalkbeat Aug 25, 6:29pm EDT I’m embarrassed to admit that in my first decade or so of teaching high school government courses, I thought ... read more
- The New School Year Comes at an Unprecedented Time for Green Dot EducatorsCOVID-19 has caused an unprecedented shift in education, but while the pandemic has created many new challenges, it has also inspired our schools to innovate and develop new ways to serve our students, families, and communities. As we head into the new school year, our stellar team of educators are ... read more
- College Preparedness Shaped This Student into a Bonafide LeaderGrowing up, Valentin Castillo knew he wanted to go to college and serve his community, but he didn’t know how. That path became clearer once he attended Ánimo Pat Brown Charter High School, a public college preparatory school serving the Florence-Graham neighborhood of Los Angeles. Castillo will be the first ... read more