We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population in the Florence-Firestone neighborhood of Los Angeles, California. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life.
A Message from the Principal
Welcome to Ánimo Pat Brown Charter High School! APB is committed to changing the landscape of public education so that every child can be successful in college, leadership, and life. We proudly serve the Florence-Firestone neighborhood and surrounding communities, providing free, high quality, college-prep education. Whether you are a parent looking for a small school with a culture of learning for your child, a community member looking to help change lives through education, or an educator looking to join a collaborative teaching and learning organization, we are eager to hear from you and happy to answer any questions you may have.
Brian Reed, Principal
Bienvenido a Ánimo Pat Brown Charter High School! APB esta comprometido a cambiar el panorama de la educación pública para que todos los niños pueden tener éxito en la universidad, el liderazgo y la vida. Estamos orgullosos de servir a el área de Florence-Firestone y las comunidades circundantes, proporcionando alta calidad de educación y de preparación universitaria gratuita. Si usted es un padre en busca de una pequeña escuela con una cultura de aprendizaje para su hijo, un miembro de la comunidad en busca de ayudar a cambiar vidas a través de la educación, o un educador que quieran unirse a una enseñanza de colaboración y organización de aprendizaje, nosotros estamos deseosos de saber de usted y dispuestos a responder a cualquier pregunta que pueda tener.
Brian Reed, Principal
Join us for Coffee with the Principal meetings, every 1st Tuesday of the month from 10:30 - 11:30am.
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
Dr. Cristina de Jesus
News & Announcements
Every day, when Ánimo Pat Brown Charter High School senior Viviana Hernandez drives home from school, she’s reminded of a persistent community problem: potholes. In the worst potholes, her car tire drops in, hits the pothole wall, and shakes the car as it struggles to move forward. It’s a constant annoyance that’s damaging her car, but where…
This spring Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) District 7 Board Member Dr. Richard Vladovic honored educators from over 150 schools in his district at the Heroes in Education Award Ceremony. These educators were honored for their achievements in creating opportunities for student success, and making their schools and communities a better place for the families they serve.…
Did you know that Ánimo Pat Brown supports our students even after they graduate? A group of teachers called Alumni Champions provide alumni with the guidance they need to enroll in and graduate from college. Often, our students are the first in their family to attend college. This added pressure alongside the difficulty of adjusting…
Latest Updates from Ánimo Pat Brown
- Why This Government Class Was Recognized by the California Department of EducationÁnimo Pat Brown Charter High School’s (APB) Government and Economics teacher, Joel Snyder, teaches a series of courses that encourage civic engagement and equips students with the knowledge to understand and affect local, state, and federal policy. This year, APB received the Civic Learning Award, a recognition by the California Department of Education awarded to schools that ... read more
- Four Green Dot High Schools Named Top Los Angeles Public Schools for Underserved StudentsIn an effort to highlight Los Angeles schools successfully serving African American and Latino students in historically underserved communities, a report issued by Innovate Public Schools and USC provides a glimpse into the best institutions for closing achievement gaps. Ánimo Pat Brown Charter High School, Ánimo Jackie Robinson Charter High School, Ánimo Inglewood Charter High School, and ... read more
- Ánimo Florence-Firestone Students Are Coding to Solve Real-World ProblemsRebecca Rincon’s 21st Century Problem Solving class at Ánimo Florence-Firestone Charter Middle School goes beyond the typical math problems, and presents students with real-world problems and the tools to solve them. “We do a great job of getting students prepared for college and leadership. This course was a way to really focus on teaching students life skills early on so they feel confident in their ability to solve problems in our 21st Century world,” said Rincon. Computer Literacy for All People ... read more
- Ten Green Dot Schools Win Student Growth Awards from CORE DistrictsLast week, several schools in the Green Dot Public Schools California network were announced as recipients of the CORE Districts’ Academic Growth Awards. These awards honor schools having the greatest impact on student achievement. Most notably, Ánimo Western Charter Middle School was recognized for three years of high impact growth in English Language Arts. According to CORE, ... read more
- USCDornsife: Stories of ImmigrationA plaque near a series of shops on First Street in Little Tokyo stands as a reminder of family history for one USC Dornsife student. It honors the area’s original shopkeepers, including Chiyo Machikawa, a jewelry store owner. She was the great grandmother of Natalie Yee, a junior studying psychology. Machikawa was denied citizenship for years, even after she had married a Japanese-American ... read more
2018 Graduation Photos
- Four Green Dot High Schools Named Top Los Angeles Public Schools for Underserved Students