Ánimo Watts College Preparatory Academy
We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population in Watts, California. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life.
A Message from the Principal
Welcome to Animo Watts College Preparatory Academy! Our Warrior staff and faculty are honored to serve the Willowbrook, Watts, Compton, and South Los Angeles Community. For over 10 years, we’ve transformed worked hard to improve our graduation and college acceptance rates. This year, our theme is “Warriors Climb Higher” and we are focusing on Academic Excellence, a College-Going Culture, and Effective Interventions. We know that by climbing higher, we will further transform the educational opportunities for our students.
At AWCPA, we firmly believe that all stakeholders are critical in the education process. Please call, email, or visit our main office if you have questions about our school, or would like to discuss your current or prospective student.
Dr. Esther Deth
This is Dr. Esther Deth’s 10th year at Animo Watts College Preparatory Academy. She joined the team as an English teacher in 2009 and became an Assistant Principal in 2014. For her, Animo Watts is home. Dr. Deth believes that all students deserve a quality education, regardless of where they were raised. This belief is very personal, inspired by her own years as a student in LA County public schools. For Dr. Deth, one of her greatest joys has been seeing former students graduate from college and pursue their professional dreams. She is honored to serve as Principal and continue seeing more Warriors receive their college degree.
Dr. Deth was born in Guatemala and grew up in Inglewood and Long Beach. She attended Long Beach City College before transferring to the University of California, Los Angeles to complete her degree in American Literature & Culture. At UCLA, she realized she wanted to help students who came from neighborhoods like her own recognize that college is not only attainable, but also crucial. She enrolled in graduate school and received her teaching credential and Masters in Education from UCLA. In 2018, she received her Doctoral degree in Educational Leadership from the University of Southern California. She is married, so you might remember her as Ms. Hamm if you’ve been around AWCPA for a few years.
Dr. Esther Deth
Join us on campus for Coffee with the Principal meetings.
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
Dr. Cristina de Jesus
News & Announcements
Latest Updates from Ánimo Watts
- A More Intentional Approach to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Green DotIn order to deliver on our promise of preparing all students for college, leadership and life, we believe we need to foster school cultures that embrace both individuality and unity, beginning with our own team members. When we explore, acknowledge, and embrace the differences between us, we can teach our students to do the same thing, paving the way for truly inclusive environments ... read more
- Green Dot Tennessee Named A Top Workplace in Memphis for Second Year in a RowThe Commercial Appeal, in partnership with research firm, Energage, LLC, announced today that Green Dot Public Schools Tennessee has again been recognized as one of the best places to work in the Greater Memphis area. Green Dot is excited to be acknowledged on this year’s Top Workplaces 2018 list, as professional development and empowerment of its employees are continued priorities for the organization. ... read more
- Perry Shields: Journey of a Second Career Teacher“I’m 57 years old, and I’m in my twelfth year of teaching -- I’m late to this,” chuckled Perry Shields, drama teacher at Oscar De La Hoya Ánimo Charter High School (ODLH). Shields doesn't mind that his teaching career began later on, as he’s been able to bring his life experiences and passions into his role as an educator. In the 21 years ... read more
- How a 5k Run Changed This Student’s Life
- Parent Power: How Hundreds of Families are Changing Their CityGreen Dot has always believed in the power of families and students to self-advocate for the kind of community revitalization they need. Whether in advocating for safer and better schools, or working with one another to help pass a $15 an hour minimum wage in Los Angeles, families have always been the most important stakeholders in Green Dot’s ... read more
- Meet Principal Jasmia Fowler: ‘If Not You, Then Who?’There is a mantra that Jasmia Fowler, new Principal at Ánimo College Preparatory Academy (ACPA), lives by: ‘If not you, then who? If not now, then when?’ Although it may sound demanding, the phrase has proven to be one of the most important reminders she has adopted in her career. “I can't leave it up to someone else because we don't have a ... read more
- Expanded Learning: Supporting Students Beyond the BellAt Green Dot Public Schools, learning doesn't stop when the school bell rings. Expanded learning programs are an extension of the academic day. These programs provide students with a space for additional support and academic enrichment at no cost to our families. Through our work with community partners we have been able to build safe, hands-on, engaging, student-centered, and results driven learning experiences beyond when the ... read more
- Help Make College Access Possible For AllEverything we do at Green Dot Public Schools is focused on ensuring each student can go to a high quality school in their neighborhood that prepares them for success in college, leadership, and life. One of the most powerful experiences we provide for our aspiring students is the opportunity to visit colleges in their city and beyond. In addition to great teaching, and a ... read more
- Why You Can’t Just Teach Language With WorksheetsIn Gabriel Borlant-Guertler’s Spanish class, you won't find students memorizing endless vocabulary lists or working on monotonous grammar exercises. “My focus has been to have the students look at Spanish as a tool, an advantage, and an academic subject, instead of a class they have to take for a grade or a language they only speak at home with their families,” said Borlant-Guertler, ... read more
- Updated: Seattle Seahawk Tyler Lockett Visits Destiny Middle SchoolStudents at Destiny Middle School received a surprise visit this month from Seattle Seahawks star Tyler Lockett. Lockett was helping with the delivery of books for Destiny's library as part of their "Book It" program. He loved reading as a child and wants to encourage more children to love books: “Being able to give back — whenever you touch somebody’s life — that’s ... read more
- Seattle Seahawk Tyler Lockett Visits Destiny Middle SchoolStudents at Destiny Middle School received a surprise visit this month from Seattle Seahawks star Tyler Lockett. Lockett was helping with the delivery of books for Destiny's library as part of their "Book It" program. He loved reading as a child and wants to encourage more children to love books: "I think it was a pretty cool experience--" said Lockett. "Being able to reward ... read more
- Supreme Court Ruling is a Victory for Students and FamiliesEarlier today, the Washington State Supreme Court ruled that charter schools are constitutional, and upheld lower court rulings that affirmed the laws that govern and fund charter schools. Green Dot’s four schools in the Puget Sound region--Destiny Charter Middle School, Excel Public Charter School, and Rainier Valley Leadership Academy Middle and High Schools--will remain open, and our students and families will continue to ... read more
- Keeping Students in College: Why Alumni Champions Are VitalAs our schools’ hallways fill with new and returning faces, we still warmly think of those who now walk the halls of colleges and universities across the country. Our students are often the first in their families to attend college, and this added pressure alongside the difficulty of adjusting to the academic and social challenges of college life can be overwhelming for even ... read more
- Chad Soleo Appointed Interim CEO of Green Dot Public Schools NationalAs Green Dot Public Schools National continues its search for a new Chief Executive, the National Board of Directors voted this week to appoint Chad Soleo as Interim CEO effective November 1, 2018. Soleo currently serves as the Chief Operating Officer, and previously held roles as an area superintendent and a high school principal in the organization. “Chad’s selection helps ensure continuity and ... read more
- Celebrating a New Home for Rainier Valley Leadership Academy Middle SchoolLast month, students at Rainier Valley Leadership Academy (RVLA) got a new school home. While the building will be dedicated long-term to RVLA Middle School (RVLA MS), this year the founding class of RVLA High School will also share the campus. To celebrate the new building, RVLA students and staff, along with community partners, hosted a ribbon cutting ceremony and shared their thoughts ... read more