Ánimo Watts College Preparatory Academy
We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population in Watts, California. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life.
A Message from the Principal
Welcome to Animo Watts College Preparatory Academy! Our Warrior staff and faculty are honored to serve the Willowbrook, Watts, Compton, and South Los Angeles Community. For over 10 years, we’ve transformed worked hard to improve our graduation and college acceptance rates. This year, our theme is “Warriors Climb Higher” and we are focusing on Academic Excellence, a College-Going Culture, and Effective Interventions. We know that by climbing higher, we will further transform the educational opportunities for our students.
At AWCPA, we firmly believe that all stakeholders are critical in the education process. Please call, email, or visit our main office if you have questions about our school, or would like to discuss your current or prospective student.
Dr. Esther Deth
Dr. Esther Deth
Join us on campus for Coffee with the Principal meetings.
Dr. Alyce Prentice
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
Dr. Cristina de Jesus
News & Announcements
Latest Updates from Ánimo Watts
- Nine Green Dot High Schools Ranked Among Best in the U.SNine Green Dot schools are among America’s best high schools, according to U.S. News & World Report’s 2019 Best High School Rankings. The schools included among the top 10% of high schools in the nation are Ánimo Leadership, Ánimo Inglewood, Ánimo Pat Brown, Ánimo Jackie Robinson and Oscar De La Hoya Ánimo Charter High Schools. In addition, ... read more
- Sports Roundup: Green Dot Teams Rank No. 1 Across L.A.At Green Dot’s 20 schools across Los Angeles, coaches and school staff have embedded an investment in education within our athletics programs, helping students become sound in both mind and body. From Watts to South LA, our student athletes have much to be proud of from the past fall sports season.... read more
- USC News: Parents’ Sacrifices Drive First-Generation USC Student to SucceedUSC freshman Jacqueline Martinez can still smell the stale popcorn and sticky soda-stained floors, a lingering reminder of her tough childhood. When she was only 11, she began accompanying her parents to their job cleaning a movie theater. They would leave their South Los Angeles home at 1 a.m. for the graveyard shift. As Martinez got older, she pitched in, sweeping screening rooms and ... read more
- Parent Leaders Foster Change For Their CommunitiesThis fall, United Parents and Students (UPAS) hosted thousands of local parents, students, and community members at the the fifth annual United Parents and Students assembly, Forward SoCal, at the University of Southern California’s Bovard Auditorium. The assembly engaged participants on key issues such as: affordable housing, higher-quality supermarkets, job opportunities, and immigration protections, and rights. The Results ... read more
- An Alumna’s Perspective on Green Dot’s Summer Institute for Business & Leadership for Women of ColorBy: Jacqueline Xiomara Murillo, alumna of Ánimo Ralph Bunche Charter High School Being a part of Green Dot’s Summer Institute for Business and Leadership (SIBL) was a life changing experience. When I learned about the opportunity to work with Green Dot over the summer, I thought it would be a great opportunity, but ... read more
2018 Graduation Photos
- Sports Roundup: Green Dot Teams Rank No. 1 Across L.A.