Our school is currently providing instruction through distance learning. We are also offering limited in-person instruction using a hybrid learning model and afternoon learning model for select grades. Hybrid Learning Model >> ; Distance Learning Bell Schedule >>; Afternoon Support Bell Schedule >>
Nuestra escuela actualmente brinda instrucción a distancia. También ofrecemos instrucción en persona utilizando un modelo de aprendizaje híbrido para el noveno grado. Modelo híbrido >> ; Aprendizaje a distancia>>
Ánimo Watts College Preparatory Academy
We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population in Watts, California. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life.
A Message from the Principal
Welcome to Animo Watts College Preparatory Academy! Our Warrior staff and faculty are honored to serve the Willowbrook, Watts, Compton, and South Los Angeles communities, providing free, high quality, college-prep education. We are a small school with a culture of learning with many Advanced Placement, Honors, and Intervention courses to fit the needs of our students. We also offer a CIF athletics program and a full after school program. Whether
At AWCPA, we firmly believe that all stakeholders are critical in the education process. Please call, email, or visit our main office if you have questions about our school, or would like to discuss your current or prospective student.
Dr. Esther Deth
Dr. Esther Deth
Join us on campus for Coffee with the Principal meetings.
Dr. Alyce Prentice
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
Dr. Cristina de Jesus
News & Announcements
Latest Updates from Ánimo Watts
- Meet Ruby Esparza, Dell ScholarÁnimo Watts College Preparatory Academy Senior Ruby Esparza is one of 13 Green Dot students to receive the prestigious Dell Scholarship award in 2021. The program, funded by the Susan & Michael Dell Foundation, provides students with a Dell Laptop, textbook credits, academic resources, mentorship opportunities—and a $20,000 scholarship. Within a matter of months, Esparza and her family plan to relocate to ... read more
- 11 Green Dot Students Awarded $5,000 College ScholarshipsAs the spring winds to an end, our students are celebrating trajectory-changing scholarship achievements. The ScholarMatch and Kayne Destination College programs awarded 11 Green Dot students in Los Angeles with $5,000 Scholarships, funded by the Ric & Suzanne Kayne Foundation. “We are proud of our students as they worked diligently over the past year and a half completing different college-ready milestones such ... read more
- Nine Green Dot High Schools Rank in U.S. News & World Report’s Best High Schools for 2021For over 20 years, our schools have led the charge in transforming public education, and have forged new pathways for success for all students. This year, U.S. News & World Report has ranked nine Green Dot Public Schools among the best in the nation in its 2021 Best High School Rankings. Each of these schools was recognized for their relentless commitment to ... read more
- Green Dot Alumna Reminds Students to Always Challenge ThemselvesDiana Proano, an Ánimo Watts College Preparatory Academy alumna, has always sought out opportunities that would challenge her to become a better version of herself. Now in her first semester at the University of Santa Barbara, California, Proano hopes her journey to college will inspire her younger sister to do the same. ... read more
- 13 Green Dot Students Awarded $20,000 Dell ScholarshipsAfter a competitive round of national applications, 13 Green Dot Public School students were accepted into the prestigious Dell Scholars Program. Funded by the Susan & Michael Dell Foundation, the Dell Scholars program equips 500 students with a Dell Laptop, textbook credits, academic resources, mentorship opportunities—and a $20,000 scholarship. “We have exceptional and talented students all across our Green Dot network of ... read more
- Marshall Street Initiative: Leading Improvement with Hearts, Minds, and ‘Data with a Soul’By Daria Zhao with contributions from Paula Espinoza and Stephanie Lassalle In our work with Green Dot Public Schools as part of the Charter Students with Disabilities Pilot Community, we’ve witnessed a glowing example of how one charter school network is building capacity to lead improvement at scale: with hearts, minds, and — to borrow the ... read more