Our schools are currently providing instruction through distance learning. We're providing digital learning & devices for every student. Learn more >>
Nuestras escuelas actualmente dan instrucción a distancia. Aprendizaje digital y dispositivos para cada estudiante. Aprende más >>
Ánimo Watts College Preparatory Academy
We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population in Watts, California. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life.
A Message from the Principal
Welcome to Animo Watts College Preparatory Academy! Our Warrior staff and faculty are honored to serve the Willowbrook, Watts, Compton, and South Los Angeles communities, providing free, high quality, college-prep education. We are a small school with a culture of learning with many Advanced Placement, Honors, and Intervention courses to fit the needs of our students. We also offer a CIF athletics program and a full after school program. Whether
At AWCPA, we firmly believe that all stakeholders are critical in the education process. Please call, email, or visit our main office if you have questions about our school, or would like to discuss your current or prospective student.
Dr. Esther Deth
Dr. Esther Deth
Join us on campus for Coffee with the Principal meetings.
Dr. Alyce Prentice
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
Dr. Cristina de Jesus
News & Announcements
Latest Updates from Ánimo Watts
- Green Dot Alumna Reminds Students to Always Challenge ThemselvesDiana Proano, an Ánimo Watts College Preparatory Academy alumna, has always sought out opportunities that would challenge her to become a better version of herself. Now in her first semester at the University of Santa Barbara, California, Proano hopes her journey to college will inspire her younger sister to do the same. ... read more
- 13 Green Dot Students Awarded $20,000 Dell ScholarshipsAfter a competitive round of national applications, 13 Green Dot Public School students were accepted into the prestigious Dell Scholars Program. Funded by the Susan & Michael Dell Foundation, the Dell Scholars program equips 500 students with a Dell Laptop, textbook credits, academic resources, mentorship opportunities—and a $20,000 scholarship. “We have exceptional and talented students all across our Green Dot network of ... read more
- Marshall Street Initiative: Leading Improvement with Hearts, Minds, and ‘Data with a Soul’By Daria Zhao with contributions from Paula Espinoza and Stephanie Lassalle In our work with Green Dot Public Schools as part of the Charter Students with Disabilities Pilot Community, we’ve witnessed a glowing example of how one charter school network is building capacity to lead improvement at scale: with hearts, minds, and — to borrow the ... read more
- New Park Renovations Bring Sanctuary, Sustainability to Green Dot SchoolsThe Earvin “Magic” Johnson Park holds a special place in the hearts of students, educators and families from Ánimo Watts College Preparatory Academy and Ánimo Mae Jemison Charter Middle School. The park is more than just a green space, it’s a place of play, connectedness, and community. When it is safe to return to school, Ánimo Watts and Ánimo Mae Jemison will ... read more
- LAUSD Renewal of 7 Green Dot Schools Reaffirms Accountability and PerformanceAs Green Dot Public Schools celebrates 20 years of changing the odds for students, we are proud that seven of our schools received charter renewals from the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) Board of Education. On Tuesday, December 8, the board renewed Ánimo Florence-Firestone Charter Middle School, Ánimo James B. Taylor Charter Middle School, Ánimo Watts College Preparatory Academy, and Ánimo ... read more