We're providing digital learning & devices for every student. Our schools will continue distance learning through December, 2020. Learn more >>
Aprendizaje digital y dispositivos para cada estudiante. Nuestras escuelas continuarán el aprendizaje a distancia hasta el final de diciembre del 2020. Aprende más >>
A Message from the Principal
The Ánimo South Los Angeles Charter High School faculty and staff are excited to work with you as we provide high quality, rigorous, challenging and relevant instruction for your children. Ánimo South Los Angeles teachers seek to empower students to develop a passion for lifelong learning and nurture them by engaging their intellect, natural curiosity while preparing ALL students for meaningful post-secondary opportunities. We seek to instill not only the objectives and skills specified by Common Core Standards, but develop student competence and motivation that will enrich each life. Our daily work together includes creating a safe and supportive environment in which all learners can pursue academic and social learning experiences and fulfill their unique potentials.
Parents are a huge part of the Ánimo South L.A. Charter High School success. Parent involvement increases student achievement and enriches the school community. Please feel free to regularly stop by to observe your student inside or outside our classrooms. By doing so, you are providing valued attention to students, teachers, and the school community. As we build upon existing relationships and forge new ones, let us collaboratively support the social, emotional and academic well-being of each child at Ánimo South Los Angeles. Through this teaming effort, we will make tremendous progress for all.
Lastly, Ánimo South Los Angeles Charter High School is the community’s school. We value and celebrate diversity, as well as the unique talents of each and every student. A strong relationship between the school, the student, and the home will maximize the educational experience for each and every child we educate.
Principal, Ánimo South Los Angeles Charter High School
Join us on campus for Coffee with the Principal meetings.
Dr. Alyce Prentice, Ed.D.
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
Dr. Cristina de Jesus
News & Announcements
A link to the Parent Orientation for 9th-12th Grade
For 17 years, Green Dot Public Schools has dedicated itself to creating positive, academically rigorous public schools in neighborhoods across the country that are in highest need of quality school options. We are proud of the work we’ve done to serve high school and middle school students in Los Angeles, Memphis, and Tacoma. This week we…
Latest Updates from ASLA
- Nine Green Dot High Schools Ranked Best in the U.S.Nine Green Dot Public Schools rank among the best in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report’s 2020 Best High School Rankings. Most notably, Ánimo Leadership Charter High School is ranked in the top 1% of high schools in the nation, as well as the best high school in its district. Ánimo Inglewood, Ánimo Pat ... read more
- How This Alumna Helps Students in Her Community Overcome BarriersShannon Doss wasn’t always college bound. She grew up in South Los Angeles and entered the foster care system at the age of 16. During her early teenager years, college never felt like a viable option. However, when she began attending Ánimo South Los Angeles Charter High School (ASLA) a path to college became clear. At ASLA, she found mentors ... read more
- How Robert Helps Freshmen Navigate The First Year of College“During my first week of college one of the things I struggled with was finding my classes,” chuckled Robert Cunningham, an Ánimo South Los Angeles Charter High School (ASLA) alumnus. As a freshman and a commuter student, Cunningham struggled with establishing connections on campus and adjusting to the culture at his college. Now a sophomore at California ... read more
- Peace Ikediuba: Don’t Knock Yourself out of the Game“At a certain point in my life I stopped thinking about college because I knew I couldn’t afford it and it didn't seem logical to even put myself through the process,” reflected Peace Ikediuba, an Ánimo South Los Angeles Charter High School (ASLA) alumna. After moving from Texas to Los Angeles in her junior year of high ... read more
- The Fourth Annual Golden Dot Awards NomineesOn Saturday evening, April 9th we’ll celebrate Green Dot Public Schools educators and staff who are transforming the landscape of public education. This year’s Golden Dot Awards (aka “The Dotties”) will take place at the Guerin Pavilion at the Skirball Cultural Center. We’ll present 7 educators and staff with well-deserved awards. This year’s Golden Dot Awards finalists are: Counselor of the Year Carol Moreno, Animo Venice Christiane Eubanks, Animo South LA Gary Mayne, Destiny MS Leticia Reyes, Animo ... read more
- How This Alumna Helps Students in Her Community Overcome Barriers