A Message from the Principal
The Ánimo South Los Angeles Charter High School faculty and staff are excited to work with you as we provide high quality, rigorous, challenging and relevant instruction for your children. Ánimo South Los Angeles teachers seek to empower students to develop a passion for lifelong learning and nurture them by engaging their intellect, natural curiosity while preparing ALL students for meaningful post-secondary opportunities. We seek to instill not only the objectives and skills specified by Common Core Standards, but develop student competence and motivation that will enrich each life. Our daily work together includes creating a safe and supportive environment in which all learners can pursue academic and social learning experiences and fulfill their unique potentials.
Parents are a huge part of the Ánimo South L.A. Charter High School success. Parent involvement increases student achievement and enriches the school community. Please feel free to regularly stop by to observe your student inside or outside our classrooms. By doing so, you are providing valued attention to students, teachers, and the school community. As we build upon existing relationships and forge new ones, let us collaboratively support the social, emotional and academic well-being of each child at Ánimo South Los Angeles. Through this teaming effort, we will make tremendous progress for all.
Lastly, Ánimo South Los Angeles Charter High School is the community’s school. We value and celebrate diversity, as well as the unique talents of each and every student. A strong relationship between the school, the student, and the home will maximize the educational experience for each and every child we educate.
Principal, Ánimo South Los Angeles Charter High School
Join us on campus for Coffee with the Principal meetings.
Dr. Alyce Prentice, Ed.D.
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
Dr. Cristina de Jesus
News & Announcements
For 17 years, Green Dot Public Schools has dedicated itself to creating positive, academically rigorous public schools in neighborhoods across the country that are in highest need of quality school options. We are proud of the work we’ve done to serve high school and middle school students in Los Angeles, Memphis, and Tacoma. This week we…
Latest Updates from ASLA
- Keeping Students in College: Why Alumni Champions Are VitalAs our schools’ hallways fill with new and returning faces, we still warmly think of those who now walk the halls of colleges and universities across the country. Our students are often the first in their families to attend college, and this added pressure alongside the difficulty of adjusting to the academic and social challenges of college life can be overwhelming for even ... read more
- Five Green Dot Schools Up For Renewal Are All Re-authorizedSeveral schools across South LA were renewed this week, helping keep more high quality public options for these historically underserved neighborhoods. Green Dot Public Schools’ network of secondary schools in California had five schools under scrutiny this week--and all five were renewed! In a unanimous vote of the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) Board of Education, Ánimo Venice Charter High School, Ánimo ... read more
- Panels and Community Building at Annual Launch to College Event Prepares Students for Life on Campus“One of the most best resources I received my senior year was Launch to College,” said Alyssa Nettles, an alumna of Ánimo Watts College Preparatory Academy. Launch to College is an annual culminating event where college-bound seniors from all Green Dot high schools in California come together to connect with other seniors attending the same universities, and to learn more ... read more
- ‘The World’s Most Phenomenal Teacher’ by Tayana FelderThis piece was part of the Ánimo Voices Competition, which invited students to write about innovators, upstanders, visionaries, or rebels that have made a difference in their local or broader communities. The competition was an opportunity to motivate, recognize, and celebrate our strong student voices through writing and art. The World’s Most Phenomenal Teacher by Tayana Felder, 9th grade, Ánimo South Los Angeles Charter High School ... read more
- ‘Ode to Justus Von Liebig’ by Jalen Louis TarverThis piece was part of the Ánimo Voices Competition, which invited students to write about innovators, upstanders, visionaries, or rebels that have made a difference in their local or broader communities. The competition was an opportunity to motivate, recognize, and celebrate our strong student voices through writing and art. Ode to Justus Von Liebig by Jalen Louis Tarver, 10th grade, Ánimo South Los Angeles Charter High School ... read more