We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population in the Watts and Compton community in South Los Angeles. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life.
A Message from the Principal
At Ánimo Mae Jemison, we are a constellation of learners working to forge an equitable future for our school and community. Together, we imagine, we explore, we persist, we challenge, and we support each other to set our expectations in the sky.
This vision articulates our hopes and dreams as a school community, and helps to define our path to get there. If you are new to the Animo Mae Jemison family, you have just entered into a very special place. A place where everyone believes in their heart that every child must be prepared for college, leadership, and life - and that this begins as soon as our students walk in our doors as 6th graders. A place defined by a social justice imperative that says students who grow up in the Watts and Compton communities can and will achieve at the same level as their more affluent peers. A place in which all students and staff strive to embody our FLIGHT values: Foster Teamwork, Learn Daily, Inspire Integrity, Go The Distance, Hold High Expectations, and Take Initiative. And a place where academic acceleration is truly happening: since 2016, AMJ has made double-digit gains on both the ELA and math SBAC assessments.
Our dedicated and talented staff serves approximately 540 students in grades 6-8. In addition to a rigorous and engaging core curriculum, we offer a variety of additional opportunities to educate the whole child:
- A daily advisory program that builds students' social-emotional skills, academic habits, and college awareness.
- 12+ teacher-sponsored clubs, from singing to dance to chess to art to gardening to our GSA
- Targeted math and reading intervention that accelerates our students' growth in order to be on track for high school and college
- Enrichment electives that foster creativity and collaboration: technology, drama, composition, investigations, environmental science, and ethnic studies
- Five competitive teams: flag football, basketball, soccer, cheer, and robotics
- Assemblies, award ceremonies, and incentive events that recognize and celebrate student success
- Yearly field trips to local universities and other important Los Angeles sites
Parents and guardians are always welcome at our school. We view our parents/guardians as equal partners in providing our children with meaningful educational experiences. Further, we encourage you to become active participants in your child's education by attending school programs, volunteering to help at our school, or engaging in a nightly routine of reading to your child, talking about their day, and getting them prepared for the next day of school.
We invite you to join our community as we work together to best serve our students. Please don't hesitate to call our office or join us at our monthly Coffee/Pizza with the Principal meetings, which are on the school calendar. Whether you are a student, a parent, a teacher, or a community member, we welcome you to the Ánimo Mae Jemison constellation.
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
Dr. Cristina de Jesus
News & Announcements
English Español English Español
English Español English At AMJ, we view parents and families as community stakeholders, who are critical to the education process. We hope to engages parents as vital partners in your student’s success. We value your time and opinion and we would like for your voices to be heard! Join us on campus for meetings, workshops,…
Estimadas familias Animo Mae Jemison, ¡Feliz verano! Esperamos que este boletín te encuentre disfrutando de tu verano de Los Ángeles y mantenerte fresco. Me complace darle la bienvenida al año escolar 2018-19 en AMJ, un año que promete estar lleno de logros y enriquecimiento para sus hijos. Estamos orgullosos de construir algunos logros increíbles del…
Principal’s Corner: Dear Animo Mae Jemison Families, Happy summer! We hope this newsletter finds you enjoying your LA summer and staying cool. It is my pleasure to welcome you to the 2018-19 school year at AMJ – a year that promises to be filled with achievement and enrichment for your children. We are proud to…
Latest Updates from Ánimo Mae Jemison
- Why This Founding Green Dot Student Came Back to South LADaisy Estevez, a social studies teacher at Ánimo Mae Jemison Charter Middle School (AMJ), became a teacher in hopes of changing the lives and trajectories of students. Estevez was inspired by her teachers at Ánimo Ralph Bunche Charter High School (ARB) who helped change her life when she was a founding student in 2006. “My school did ... read more
- How Middle Schoolers are Creating Safe Spaces for LGBTQ+ Students“I’m kind of mad I didn't come to this school earlier. I came here a month ago and I finally feel like I belong,” admitted Yair Montano, an eighth grader at Ánimo Mae Jemison Charter Middle School (AMJ). “In other schools, I felt shut out like I was nothing, but now I feel like I’m really a part ... read more
- Creating Middle School Pathways to STEM CareersFor far too long, schools have left a large number of students from underserved communities without the advanced skills and knowledge necessary for their lives after high school. The National Science Foundation found that African Americans and Latinos combined only account for 11 percent of employment in Science and engineering careers. People of color are grossly underrepresented in ... read more
- Ten Green Dot Schools Win Student Growth Awards from CORE DistrictsLast week, several schools in the Green Dot Public Schools California network were announced as recipients of the CORE Districts’ Academic Growth Awards. These awards honor schools having the greatest impact on student achievement. Most notably, Ánimo Western Charter Middle School was recognized for three years of high impact growth in English Language Arts. According to CORE, ... read more
- Reflecting On a 2018 of GrowthAs we turn the page on a new year, we take this time to reflect on all the ways we’ve grown in the past year. We have much to be proud of, and still more growth to pursue, but always, we remain committed to the students and families who have entrusted us to help pave a path of preparation for college, leadership, and ... read more
2018 Graduation Photos
- How Middle Schoolers are Creating Safe Spaces for LGBTQ+ Students