Our school is currently providing instruction through distance learning. We are also offering limited in-person instruction using a hybrid learning model for select grades. Distance Learning Bell Schedule >>; Hybrid Learning Bell Schedule >>
Nuestra escuela actualmente brinda instrucción a distancia. También ofrecemos instrucción en persona utilizando un modelo de aprendizaje híbrido para el noveno grado. Modelo híbrido >> ; Aprendizaje a distancia>>
We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population in the Watts and Compton community in South Los Angeles. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life.
A Message from the Principal
Hello Constellation scholars, parents, and school community,
My name is Angela Carter Rodriguez and I am proud to lead Animo Mae Jemison Charter Middle School as new principal for the 2020-21 school year. I am originally from East Oakland, California, moved to Los Angeles as a teenager, and attended Fairfax HS, UCLA as an undergraduate psychology major, CSULA for my MS in School Counseling and Administration, and CSULB for my EdD in Educational Leadership. As a first generation college graduate, a proud mother of six wonderful children, and a lifelong educator, my goal is to provide a safe, equitable, rigorous, 21st century education to the scholars of AMJ.
I would like to acknowledge that we live in uncertain times. 2020 has been an eventful year, to say the least. We are living through a global pandemic, economic uncertainty, and social reckoning. At the same time, we are seeing everyday people, first responders, essential workers, neighbors, educators, friends, and family members perform heroic acts each day, reminding us of our collective greatness and humanity. Our school theme for the 2020-21 school year is “Rise Up.” This means that we are ready to “Rise Up” to the challenges of this moment in time, keeping our school community safe during a global pandemic, while providing technology to our scholars for a rigorous Distance Learning experience, and confronting our history through a lens of BlackLivesMatter.
As your principal, I commit to keep you informed to our evolving reality. It is my job to keep our constellation safe and provide the most rigorous academic program available. Our Constellation will “Rise Up” and advocate for social justice in the Watts and Compton communities. Parents and guardians, please know that you are always welcome at AMJ and we consider you an essential part of our family. As a parent myself, I know that it takes a village to provide the best educational experience for our children. I invite you to actively participate in our school activities through our Coffee/Pizza with the principal, school committees and programming, while actively engaging with your child’s education especially during distance/hybrid learning.
At AMJ we have dedicated and talented staff, serving approximately 540 students in grades 6-8. We believe in meeting the needs of the whole child. This includes a rigorous and engaging academic program that includes targeted intervention and/or enrichment built into the school day. We also have a daily advisory program that builds students' social-emotional skills, academic habits, and college awareness. In addition, we proudly offer:
- Teacher-sponsored clubs, including video gaming, dance, art, and GSA
- Five competitive teams: flag football, basketball, soccer, cheer, and robotics
- Cultural events, assemblies, award ceremonies, and incentive events that recognize and celebrate student success
- Yearly field trips to local universities and other important sites
Our school vision is:
At Ánimo Mae Jemison, we are a constellation of learners working to forge an equitable future for our school and community. Together, we imagine, we explore, we persist, we challenge, and we support each other to set our expectations in the sky.
This vision embodies our mission as a school community. This vision articulates our hopes and dreams as a school community, and helps to define our path to get there. If you are new to the Animo Mae Jemison family, welcome, you have just entered into a very special place. A place where everyone believes in their heart that every child must be prepared for college, leadership, and life - and that this begins as soon as our students walk in our doors as 6th graders. A place defined by a social justice imperative to disrupt the narrative that says that students in our community will be defined by their zip code. Together our constellation will “Rise Up” and prepare our scholars to be the professionals, entrepreneurs, visionaries, social justice warriors, and leaders of the future.
Dr. Angela Carter Rodriguez
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
Dr. Cristina de Jesus
News & Announcements
Take the California Healthy Kids Survey
English Español English Español
English Español English At AMJ, we view parents and families as community stakeholders, who are critical to the education process. We hope to engages parents as vital partners in your student’s success. We value your time and opinion and we would like for your voices to be heard! Join us on campus for meetings, workshops,…
Estimadas familias Animo Mae Jemison, ¡Feliz verano! Esperamos que este boletín te encuentre disfrutando de tu verano de Los Ángeles y mantenerte fresco. Me complace darle la bienvenida al año escolar 2018-19 en AMJ, un año que promete estar lleno de logros y enriquecimiento para sus hijos. Estamos orgullosos de construir algunos logros increíbles del…
Latest Updates from Ánimo Mae Jemison
- Marshall Street Initiative: Leading Improvement with Hearts, Minds, and ‘Data with a Soul’By Daria Zhao with contributions from Paula Espinoza and Stephanie Lassalle In our work with Green Dot Public Schools as part of the Charter Students with Disabilities Pilot Community, we’ve witnessed a glowing example of how one charter school network is building capacity to lead improvement at scale: with hearts, minds, and — to borrow the ... read more
- New Park Renovations Bring Sanctuary, Sustainability to Green Dot SchoolsThe Earvin “Magic” Johnson Park holds a special place in the hearts of students, educators and families from Ánimo Watts College Preparatory Academy and Ánimo Mae Jemison Charter Middle School. The park is more than just a green space, it’s a place of play, connectedness, and community. When it is safe to return to school, Ánimo Watts and Ánimo Mae Jemison will ... read more
- What Does “Ánimo” Mean?Of Green Dot’s 19 schools in California, nearly all have the word Ánimo in their name. What does Ánimo mean? And why is it so important to Green Dot? Ánimo is a Spanish word that means “encouragement”. It’s not easily translatable. It implies the act of reassuring, inspiring, or cheering someone on to overcome a challenge. Broadly, it means “Don’t give up! You can do it!” But like any complex word, ánimo has more nuanced meanings, too. It denotes courage ... read more
- We Celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month with Heroes, Students, and AlumniFrom September 15 to October 15, the United States celebrates National Hispanic Heritage Month. This national celebration spans the annual independence celebration for several countries across Latin America and the Caribbean, including Mexico, Costa Rica, El Salvador, and Nicaragua, and Chile. The first official recognition in the United States started in 1968 as Hispanic Heritage Week, and was later expanded to a ... read more
- National Charter Schools Week: Bright Spots and JoyThis week, we’re taking the time to reflect on the resiliency of our schools and their ability to support educators, families and students overcome all obstacles. Nationwide, a movement to help provide high quality public education to every child in their own neighborhoods has helped prepare all students for college, ... read more