We're providing digital learning & devices for every student. // Aprendizaje digital y dispositivos para cada estudiante.
Message from the Principal
Animo College Prep Academy Bulldogs are excited to dominate the 2018-2019 school year! With that, we are offering a variety of ways for all our community stakeholders to become involved in ensuring the academic and social-emotional success of our scholars. Our vision is that all graduating seniors will graduate college-ready and able to read, write, discuss, problem solve and think critically about the world they live in to address inequity and injustice and advocate for social, economic and political change in our society. By the time they graduate, students will develop a social justice mindset that seeks to empower the community by advocating for social, economic and political change to realize the potential in Watts and improve the current conditions. We work hard to create a safe and personalized learning environment where students build strong and supporting relationships with teachers and staff. We believe in building a culture that fosters pride, spirit and academic courage. This is only made possible through understanding the history and potential future for Watts and the steps we need to get improve the quality of life for all.
We understand that in order to achieve our vision, scholars must be exposed to rigorous college prep curriculum that fulfills admission requirements to colleges and universities throughout the United States. We offer several Advanced Placement (AP) courses to help scholars prepare for college level coursework. Since our school opened in 2011, many of our scholars have been accepted to some of the nation’s top colleges and universities including UCLA, UC Berkeley, Occidental, Mount Saint Mary’s, Loyola Marymount University, UC Santa Cruz, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara and UC Riverside, just to name a few.
In addition to a rigorous academic environment, our scholars have several opportunities to be involved in activities outside the classroom such as:
- The College Track Program
- The USC Trio and USC Upward Bound Program
- A UCLA Medical Student Association Club
- California Interscholastic Federation (C.I.F.) sports
- A Theatre Arts Production Program
- Community Volunteer and Leadership Internship Opportunities
- The Junior Achievement Business Program
Please consider partnering with us to transform the educational landscape of Watts and the country by volunteering at at our school, attending community events or making a financial contribution to support our learning environment.
We look forward to partnering with you!
Principal, Ánimo College Prep Academy
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
Dr. Cristina de Jesus
News & Announcements
Join Principal Jasmia Fowler for coffee on campus. Principal Fowler holds this time every 4th Tuesday of the month to spend time with ACPA families. 9-10:00am & 4-5:00pm Hope to see you there!
August 23, 2018 Meet and greet with teachers and get important academic information. Join us! 5:00pm-7:00pm
August 7th! Family BBQ for 9th and 10th Graders! August 7th 4:00-7:00 pm Important information will be shared and collected
Latest Updates from Ánimo College Prep
- Reflecting On a 2018 of GrowthAs we turn the page on a new year, we take this time to reflect on all the ways we’ve grown in the past year. We have much to be proud of, and still more growth to pursue, but always, we remain committed to the students and families who have entrusted us to help pave a path of preparation for college, leadership, and ... read more
- Meet Principal Jasmia Fowler: ‘If Not You, Then Who?’There is a mantra that Jasmia Fowler, new Principal at Ánimo College Preparatory Academy (ACPA), lives by: ‘If not you, then who? If not now, then when?’ Although it may sound demanding, the phrase has proven to be one of the most important reminders she has adopted in her career. “I can't leave it up to someone else because we don't have a ... read more
- SBAC Results Show Green Dot Schools Achieve Breakthrough in Student GrowthSouth LA students are achieving some of the best academic growth in the state, according to state test and academic growth models from CORE, a network of the nine largest school districts across California. CORE student growth percentiles show significant growth and achievement for Green Dot Public Schools’ students, a network of Title I public charter schools founded in 1999, when it first ... read more
- ‘Banksy’ by Beatrice CaballeroThis piece was part of the Ánimo Voices Competition, which invited students to write about innovators, upstanders, visionaries, or rebels that have made a difference in their local or broader communities. The competition was an opportunity to motivate, recognize, and celebrate our strong student voices through writing and art. Banksy by Beatrice Caballero, 9th grade, Ánimo College Preparatory Academy It doesn’t take a mastermind to change ... read more
- ‘Untitled’ by Ashley LuisThis piece was part of the Ánimo Voices Competition, which invited students to write about innovators, upstanders, visionaries, or rebels that have made a difference in their local or broader communities. The competition was an opportunity to motivate, recognize, and celebrate our strong student voices through writing and art. Untitled by Ashley Lopez, 10th grade, Ánimo College Preparatory Academy A person in my life who inspires ... read more