Ánimo Watts College Preparatory Academy
We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population in Watts, California. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life.
A Message from the Principal
Welcome to Animo Watts College Preparatory Academy! Our Warrior staff and faculty are honored to serve the Willowbrook, Watts, Compton, and South Los Angeles Community. For over 10 years, we’ve transformed worked hard to improve our graduation and college acceptance rates. This year, our theme is “Warriors Climb Higher” and we are focusing on Academic Excellence, a College-Going Culture, and Effective Interventions. We know that by climbing higher, we will further transform the educational opportunities for our students.
At AWCPA, we firmly believe that all stakeholders are critical in the education process. Please call, email, or visit our main office if you have questions about our school, or would like to discuss your current or prospective student.
Dr. Esther Deth
This is Dr. Esther Deth’s 10th year at Animo Watts College Preparatory Academy. She joined the team as an English teacher in 2009 and became an Assistant Principal in 2014. For her, Animo Watts is home. Dr. Deth believes that all students deserve a quality education, regardless of where they were raised. This belief is very personal, inspired by her own years as a student in LA County public schools. For Dr. Deth, one of her greatest joys has been seeing former students graduate from college and pursue their professional dreams. She is honored to serve as Principal and continue seeing more Warriors receive their college degree.
Dr. Deth was born in Guatemala and grew up in Inglewood and Long Beach. She attended Long Beach City College before transferring to the University of California, Los Angeles to complete her degree in American Literature & Culture. At UCLA, she realized she wanted to help students who came from neighborhoods like her own recognize that college is not only attainable, but also crucial. She enrolled in graduate school and received her teaching credential and Masters in Education from UCLA. In 2018, she received her Doctoral degree in Educational Leadership from the University of Southern California. She is married, so you might remember her as Ms. Hamm if you’ve been around AWCPA for a few years.
Dr. Esther Deth
Join us on campus for Coffee with the Principal meetings.
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
Dr. Cristina de Jesus
News & Announcements
Latest Updates from Ánimo Watts
- Chad Soleo Appointed Interim CEO of Green Dot Public Schools NationalAs Green Dot Public Schools National continues its search for a new Chief Executive, the National Board of Directors voted this week to appoint Chad Soleo as Interim CEO effective November 1, 2018. Soleo currently serves as the Chief Operating Officer, and previously held roles as an area superintendent and a high school principal in the organization. “Chad’s selection helps ensure continuity and ... read more
- Green Dot Celebrates National Principals’ MonthAt Green Dot we know that all great schools have a great leader at the helm. Families trust them with their student’s well-being and their academic journeys. For this we want to thank all of our school leaders for their passion, for being exceptional listeners, and for their tireless dedication to seeing all students succeed. Learn More About ... read more
- SBAC Results Show Green Dot Schools Achieve Breakthrough in Student GrowthSouth LA students are achieving some of the best academic growth in the state, according to state test and academic growth models from CORE, a network of the nine largest school districts across California. CORE student growth percentiles show significant growth and achievement for Green Dot Public Schools’ students, a network of Title I public charter schools founded in 1999, when it first ... read more
- Announcing The Learning Curve: News and Views from Green Dot LeadersGreen Dot Public Schools is excited to announce The Learning Curve, a platform for sharing reflections and ideas on public education from Green Dot leaders. The Learning Curve is our opportunity to share insights and lessons learned as we pursue our mission to help transform public education so all students graduate prepared for college, leadership and life. We launch this week with some exciting ... read more
- Five Green Dot Schools Up For Renewal Are All Re-authorizedSeveral schools across South LA were renewed this week by elected officials, helping keep more high quality public options to these historically underprivileged neighborhoods. Green Dot Public Schools’ network of Title I secondary schools had five schools under scrutiny this week--and all five were renewed! In a unanimous vote of the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) Board of Education, Ánimo Venice Charter ... read more
- ‘Not My Parents’ Locke’: Reflections from a Current Locke Student
- Tech-Based Teaching — Computational Conversations with Eli SheldonPhoto courtesy of Tech-Based Teaching Today’s interview is with Eli Sheldon, founding ninth-grade computer science teacher at Rainier Valley Leadership Academy High School. He helps run the Green Dot Computational Thinking Center, a center in the Green Dot Public Schools school system that helps to ideate and implement computational thinking programs. ... What’s your personal definition of ... read more
- Kirby Middle School Hosts Partner Celebration of 100,000 School Shirts DonatedPhoto courtesy of Agape North At Green Dot, we know it takes the dedication of every part of a community to fulfill our mission in the face of overwhelming need. While a school shirt might not seem like a large expense to some, it can create a barrier for some parents eager to enroll their student at ... read more
- Green Dot Public Schools CEO to Step Down after 12 YearsCanter: “Marco’s legacy at Green Dot is unmistakable; he solidified our institution’s service to the communities and students that need it most.” September 12, 2018. Los Angeles -- After almost 12 years at Green Dot Public Schools—overseeing unprecedented growth from 3,000 students to 15,000, CEO Marco Petruzzi announced his intention to step down this fall. “It has been the honor of my lifetime to work for the students and families ... read more
- 200 Community Volunteers Join Forces on Destiny’s Campus to Build a New Playground for SOAR AcademyThis fall, volunteers from Keurig Dr. Pepper, Columbia Distributing, SOAR Academy and the community joined KaBOOM! at the Destiny Middle School campus to transform an empty site into a kid-designed, state-of-the-art playground in just six hours for the students of SOAR Academy, which is now located on Destiny’s campus. Why Play? ... read more
- A Colorful Competition at Ánimo Jackie Robinson Charter High School
- Students Say ‘Thank You’ to Staff and EducatorsGreen Dot California, like these students in this video thank you for all the work you do in preparing students for college, leadership, and life. We know that student growth involves much more than accessing rigorous curriculum, but also the development of grit and character. In this video, we encounter students in different grade levels from three different cities across the Green Dot network. ... read more
- An Alumna’s Perspective on Green Dot’s Summer Institute for Business & Leadership for Women of ColorBy: Jacqueline Xiomara Murillo, alumna of Ánimo Ralph Bunche Charter High School Being a part of Green Dot’s Summer Institute for Business and Leadership (SIBL) was a life changing experience. When I learned about the opportunity to work with Green Dot over the summer, I thought it would be a great opportunity, but ... read more
- Strong Leaders Take the Helm at Green Dot Schools Across the CountryAs we begin a new school year, Green Dot Public Schools is proud to introduce a number of new school leaders. While not all are new faces at their schools, they are all new to the helm. These educators will drive the direction of our schools, embody our mission to serve all students, and inspire their teachers, families and communities to commit to excellence ... read more
- Three Green Dot Schools Achieve TVAAS Scores of 5 as 2018-19 School Year CommencesThree Green Dot schools – Bluff City High School, Kirby Middle School, and Wooddale Middle School – all achieved Tennessee Value-Added Assessment System (TVAAS) scores of 5 as they opened in early August for the 2018-19 school year. The scores show significant growth and achievement for Green Dot Public Schools’ students. We began operating schools in Memphis since 2014 when we were invited ... read more