A Message from the Principal
Welcome to Animo Mae Jemison, Home of the Jets!
If you are new to the Animo Mae Jemison family, you just entered into a very special school. We believe wholeheartedly that every child must be prepared for college, leadership, and life - and that this begins as soon as our students walk in our doors as 6th graders. In order to realize this mission, we cultivate a safe, supportive community in which all students and staff strive to embody our FLIGHT values: Foster Teamwork, Learn Daily, Inspire Integrity, Go The Distance, Hold High Expectations, and Take Initiative.
I am honored and humbled to be the principal of this school, as this year will be my first year to serve the community in this capacity.
Our dedicated and talented staff serves approximately 500 students in grades 6-8. In addition to a rigorous and engaging core curriculum, we offer a variety of additional opportunities to educate the whole child:
- an advisory program that builds students' social-emotional skills, academic habits, and college awareness
- targeted math and reading intervention that accelerates our students' growth in order to be on track for high school and college
- enrichment electives that foster creativity and collaboration: technology, drama, composition, and investigations
- assemblies, award ceremonies, and incentive events that recognize and celebrate student success
- yearly fields trips to colleges and other important Los Angeles sites.
Parents and guardians are always welcome at our school. We view our parents/guardians as equal partners in providing our children with meaningful educational experiences. Further, we encourage you to become active participants in your child's education by attending school programs, volunteering to help at our school, or engaging in a nightly routine of reading to your child, talking about their day, and getting them prepared for the next day of school.
I am thrilled to be part of such an outstanding team! We invite you to join our community as we work together to best serve our students. Please don't hesitate to call our office or join us at our monthly Coffee With The Principal meetings, which take place on the 3rd Friday of every month (beginning August 18th) from 8:15 - 9:30 AM. I look forward to working with you and your children!
Nate Geller, Principal