Ánimo Watts College Preparatory Academy
We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population in Watts, California. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life.
A Message from the Principal
Welcome to Animo Watts College Preparatory Academy! Our Warrior staff and faculty are honored to serve the Willowbrook, Watts, Compton, and South Los Angeles Community. For over 10 years, we’ve transformed worked hard to improve our graduation and college acceptance rates. This year, our theme is “Warriors Climb Higher” and we are focusing on Academic Excellence, a College-Going Culture, and Effective Interventions. We know that by climbing higher, we will further transform the educational opportunities for our students.
At AWCPA, we firmly believe that all stakeholders are critical in the education process. Please call, email, or visit our main office if you have questions about our school, or would like to discuss your current or prospective student.
Dr. Esther Deth
This is Dr. Esther Deth’s 10th year at Animo Watts College Preparatory Academy. She joined the team as an English teacher in 2009 and became an Assistant Principal in 2014. For her, Animo Watts is home. Dr. Deth believes that all students deserve a quality education, regardless of where they were raised. This belief is very personal, inspired by her own years as a student in LA County public schools. For Dr. Deth, one of her greatest joys has been seeing former students graduate from college and pursue their professional dreams. She is honored to serve as Principal and continue seeing more Warriors receive their college degree.
Dr. Deth was born in Guatemala and grew up in Inglewood and Long Beach. She attended Long Beach City College before transferring to the University of California, Los Angeles to complete her degree in American Literature & Culture. At UCLA, she realized she wanted to help students who came from neighborhoods like her own recognize that college is not only attainable, but also crucial. She enrolled in graduate school and received her teaching credential and Masters in Education from UCLA. In 2018, she received her Doctoral degree in Educational Leadership from the University of Southern California. She is married, so you might remember her as Ms. Hamm if you’ve been around AWCPA for a few years.
Dr. Esther Deth
Join us on campus for Coffee with the Principal meetings.
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
Dr. Cristina de Jesus
News & Announcements
Latest Updates from Ánimo Watts
- Updated: Seattle Seahawk Tyler Lockett Visits Destiny Middle SchoolStudents at Destiny Middle School received a surprise visit this month from Seattle Seahawks star Tyler Lockett. Lockett was helping with the delivery of books for Destiny's library as part of their "Book It" program. He loved reading as a child and wants to encourage more children to love books: “Being able to give back — whenever you touch somebody’s life — that’s ... read more
- Seattle Seahawk Tyler Lockett Visits Destiny Middle SchoolStudents at Destiny Middle School received a surprise visit this month from Seattle Seahawks star Tyler Lockett. Lockett was helping with the delivery of books for Destiny's library as part of their "Book It" program. He loved reading as a child and wants to encourage more children to love books: "I think it was a pretty cool experience--" said Lockett. "Being able to reward ... read more
- Supreme Court Ruling is a Victory for Students and FamiliesEarlier today, the Washington State Supreme Court ruled that charter schools are constitutional, and upheld lower court rulings that affirmed the laws that govern and fund charter schools. Green Dot’s four schools in the Puget Sound region--Destiny Charter Middle School, Excel Public Charter School, and Rainier Valley Leadership Academy Middle and High Schools--will remain open, and our students and families will continue to ... read more
- Keeping Students in College: Why Alumni Champions Are VitalAs our schools’ hallways fill with new and returning faces, we still warmly think of those who now walk the halls of colleges and universities across the country. Our students are often the first in their families to attend college, and this added pressure alongside the difficulty of adjusting to the academic and social challenges of college life can be overwhelming for even ... read more
- Chad Soleo Appointed Interim CEO of Green Dot Public Schools NationalAs Green Dot Public Schools National continues its search for a new Chief Executive, the National Board of Directors voted this week to appoint Chad Soleo as Interim CEO effective November 1, 2018. Soleo currently serves as the Chief Operating Officer, and previously held roles as an area superintendent and a high school principal in the organization. “Chad’s selection helps ensure continuity and ... read more
- Celebrating a New Home for Rainier Valley Leadership Academy Middle SchoolLast month, students at Rainier Valley Leadership Academy (RVLA) got a new school home. While the building will be dedicated long-term to RVLA Middle School (RVLA MS), this year the founding class of RVLA High School will also share the campus. To celebrate the new building, RVLA students and staff, along with community partners, hosted a ribbon cutting ceremony and shared their thoughts ... read more
- Green Dot Celebrates National Principals’ MonthAt Green Dot we know that all great schools have a great leader at the helm. Families trust them with their student’s well-being and their academic journeys. For this we want to thank all of our school leaders for their passion, for being exceptional listeners, and for their tireless dedication to seeing all students succeed. Learn More About ... read more
- SBAC Results Show Green Dot Schools Achieve Breakthrough in Student GrowthSouth LA students are achieving some of the best academic growth in the state, according to state test and academic growth models from CORE, a network of the nine largest school districts across California. CORE student growth percentiles show significant growth and achievement for Green Dot Public Schools’ students, a network of Title I public charter schools founded in 1999, when it first ... read more
- Announcing The Learning Curve: News and Views from Green Dot LeadersGreen Dot Public Schools is excited to announce The Learning Curve, a platform for sharing reflections and ideas on public education from Green Dot leaders. The Learning Curve is our opportunity to share insights and lessons learned as we pursue our mission to help transform public education so all students graduate prepared for college, leadership and life. We launch this week with some exciting ... read more
- Five Green Dot Schools Up For Renewal Are All Re-authorizedSeveral schools across South LA were renewed this week by elected officials, helping keep more high quality public options to these historically underprivileged neighborhoods. Green Dot Public Schools’ network of Title I secondary schools had five schools under scrutiny this week--and all five were renewed! In a unanimous vote of the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) Board of Education, Ánimo Venice Charter ... read more
- ‘Not My Parents’ Locke’: Reflections from a Current Locke Student
- Tech-Based Teaching — Computational Conversations with Eli SheldonPhoto courtesy of Tech-Based Teaching Today’s interview is with Eli Sheldon, founding ninth-grade computer science teacher at Rainier Valley Leadership Academy High School. He helps run the Green Dot Computational Thinking Center, a center in the Green Dot Public Schools school system that helps to ideate and implement computational thinking programs. ... What’s your personal definition of ... read more
- Kirby Middle School Hosts Partner Celebration of 100,000 School Shirts DonatedPhoto courtesy of Agape North At Green Dot, we know it takes the dedication of every part of a community to fulfill our mission in the face of overwhelming need. While a school shirt might not seem like a large expense to some, it can create a barrier for some parents eager to enroll their student at ... read more
- Green Dot Public Schools CEO to Step Down after 12 YearsCanter: “Marco’s legacy at Green Dot is unmistakable; he solidified our institution’s service to the communities and students that need it most.” September 12, 2018. Los Angeles -- After almost 12 years at Green Dot Public Schools—overseeing unprecedented growth from 3,000 students to 15,000, CEO Marco Petruzzi announced his intention to step down this fall. “It has been the honor of my lifetime to work for the students and families ... read more
- 200 Community Volunteers Join Forces on Destiny’s Campus to Build a New Playground for SOAR AcademyThis fall, volunteers from Keurig Dr. Pepper, Columbia Distributing, SOAR Academy and the community joined KaBOOM! at the Destiny Middle School campus to transform an empty site into a kid-designed, state-of-the-art playground in just six hours for the students of SOAR Academy, which is now located on Destiny’s campus. Why Play? ... read more