Graduation Requirements

High school students must meet the following requirements to earn a diploma and graduate:

  1. Complete all course requirements and have the minimum number of credit units, including 160 Core Academic Courses (UC/CSU A-G courses) and 80 Green Dot electives for a total of at least 240 credit units:
    SubjectCredit Units
    AHistory/Social Science30
    ELanguage Other Than English20
    FVisual and Performing Arts10
    GCollege Prep Elective10
    -Green Dot Electives80
  2. Every student must show proof that he or she completed 3 university applications. Students must bring proof of acceptance or denial. Incomplete applications will not be accepted! Acceptable forms for proof of application include: college correspondence via letter, e-mail, or online printout indicating acceptance or denial of admissions.
  3. Students must complete 40 community service hours before graduation. These hours are to be turned into advisory teachers before the end of the school year.
  4. Students must serve all detentions and suspensions and clear all other disciplinary obligations.
  5. Students/parents must pay all financial debts owed to the school.

Students will be recognized as Distinguished Graduates if they meet the following additional requirements:

  1. Fulfill the recommended A-G requirements, which require the following additional credit units:
    Credit Units
    ELanguage Other Than English10
  2. Complete an additional 20 community service hours before graduation.
  3. Complete at least one UC/CSU transferrable cource with a "C" or above grade, or earn a passing grade (3 or above) on at least one Advanced Placement (AP) Exam.
  4. Finish high school with a weighted GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Counseling & Support

The Ánimo Venice counselors are here to support students and families with a holistic approach, providing services in both academics and non-school related issues. Ms. Moreno and Ms. Cervantes believe your emotional health is just as important as your academics. If you find yourself in need of having to talk to someone, Ms. Moreno and Ms. Cervantes are here for you to speak with. They can assist you if you have experienced or are experiencing:

High levels of stress and anxiety

Trouble with Anger Management


Grief and Loss

Relationship Issues

In addition, you may request for a referral to receive further support through individual counseling. Individual counseling provides students with a one-on-one opportunity to speak with a counselor. Services are provided at school through Green Dot’s MFT interns and Didi Hirsch therapists; One-on-One counseling is completelyconfidential and voluntary. If you do not wish to receive services on site, a referral can be made to receive services outside of school through Didi Hirsch. If you are unsure if you want individual counseling, come to the counseling office for more information. Ms. Moreno and Ms. Cervantes are here to help students achieve personal and academic growth, so don’t hesitate to drop by.  

Carol MorenoJessica Cervantes-Hernandez
Counselor for 10th & 12th gradeCounselor for 9th &11th grade

Counseling Groups

Boys Counseling

Girls Counseling


If you or someone you know is considering suicide, and you are not able to speak with your counselor, parent, teacher, relatives, or friends, consider utilizing this site. It is very important you discuss this matter with someone immediately.

SOS Prevention Program Opt-Out Form >>

Programa de Prevención de SOS >>

Suicide Prevention Center 24-hour Crisis Line Toll Free: 877-727-4747

Planned Parenthood

Information about STDs and pregnancy related information, programs and issues. For medical questions, or to schedule an appointment with the nearest Planned Parenthood center, call toll-free 1-800-230-PLAN.

Teen Central

Explore a site written by, for, and about teens. Read celebrity stories, real-teen tales, an anonymous help-line and crisis counseling.

Other Resources

List of Resources and contacts throughout LosAngeles

Order Your Transcript

Green Dot Public Schools has chosen Parchment for all transcript requests

Send your official transcript anywhere in the world with just a few clicks!

Student, parents, and alumni can use Parchment, the leader in eTranscript exchange, to send high school transcripts electronically, securely and confidentially, all with real-time tracking.

To order your transcript, click the big ORDER YOUR TRANSCRIPT banner below. The first thing you’ll do is create an account, then you’ll place your order, and then you can track your order 24/7.

Visit to access the Parchment Student Tool Kit Containing:

  • Video Tutorials
  • User Guides
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Support Resources

Colleges and universities prefer to receive transcripts electronically through Parchment!


Financing College

Don't let the high cost of college discourage you. Numerous sources of financial aid can help you afford even the most expensive schools. In fact, nearly half of all college students receive some financial aid. The key is to start saving and researching now.

Save Early: Consider the types of college you might attend (public, private, urban, rural), the requirements of your potential major (books, supplies), and living costs (housing, transportation, food). Estimate your financial needs, and begin saving money each month. Many banks offer special college savings accounts.

Explore Your Options: You can apply for several types of aid from federal and state agencies, private foundations, and colleges. The federal government alone provides nearly $50 billion in student aid to U.S. citizens annually. Delve into the topics below for more information. 

This page contains general information on financing college and government financial aid programs. For specific scholarship opportunities, please visit our Scholarships page.

All about the FAFSA

Seniors: If you plan to start college in the fall of the following year you and your parents need to submit a FAFSA on the required dates for best results.

FAFSA On the Web They promise quicker turnaround time if you fill out the FAFSA on the web. It's a good idea to pick up a hard copy of the FAFSA in the counseling center so you know ahead of time what information they are going to require.

FAFSA PIN - Before you can apply for financial aid online, you need to register for a Personal Identification Number (PIN) for you and your parents. This serves as you electronic signature when you fill out the FAFSA online to learn more about scholarship scams. You can actually search for free online or go to your local library for a list of scholarships. Check out these websites.

Financial Aid Calculators - The most popular calculators are the College Cost Projector, Savings Plan Designer , Financial Aid Estimation Calculator and Loan Payment Calculator.

FAFSA Help - Here you will find all the answers to your questions about filling out the FAFSA. There are even photos of the form with very exact instructions on completing the questions.

Cal Grants

If you are a current high school senior or a recent high school graduate, you may be eligible for the Cal Grant Entitlement Award to assist you with your college costs. If this sounds like you, then you can receive a Cal Grant Entitlement Award.

In order to be eligible for the Cal Grant Entitlement Award, you will need to:

  • be a recent High School graduate or high school senior ready to graduate
  • be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • be a California Resident
  • attend a qualifying California college
  • not have already earned a bachelor's or professional degree
  • have financial need at the college of your choice
  • have a family income and assets below the income ceilings
  • be enrolled or plan to enroll in a program leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate
  • be enrolled or plan to enroll at least half-time
  • have registered with the U.S. Selective Service, if required to do so
  • not owe a refund on any state or federal grant
  • not be in default on any student loan

You must also complete and file both the FAFSA and GPA Verification form by March 2nd. The FAFSA may be completed on line by going to or you can file a paper FAFSA. Paper FAFSA's are available at your campus financial aid office and must be completed and postmarked no later than March 2nd. The GPA verification form must be completed by your college or high school and must be submitted with a postmark no later than March 2nd. At the schools option, it can be transmitted, directly by your school, no later than March 2nd.


Cal Grant A awards assist low- and middle-income students with tuition/fee costs. Awards are based on financial need and academic achievement, as measured by the applicant's GPA or test scores.

The minimum length of the course of study in which a Cal Grant A recipient must be enrolled is two academic years. If you are a Cal Grant A recipient and attend a community college, no payment will be made. Your award will be placed on reserve for up to two years until you transfer to a four-year college, university, or trade school. The maximum new award amounts for 2003-2004 are: $9,708 at independent schools and colleges, $3,429 at the University of California (UC) and $1,428 at the California State University (CSU). The Cal Grant A award amounts may differ depending on the annual budget process. You will receive notification of the official award amounts once the budget is signed.


Cal Grant B awards assist low-income or disadvantaged students with "access costs." Awards are based upon financial need and academic achievement and may take into consideration other family circumstances. The access award assists with living expenses, books, supplies, transportation and other non-tuition/fee costs in the first year. The maximum access award proposed for the 2003-2004 academic year range between $700 to $1,551. Renewal recipients, California Community College transfer students, and 2 percent of first-year recipients will receive a Cal

Grant B award which will also include a tuition award. Cal Grant B award amounts for the 2003-2004 award year will be determined through the annual budget process. (The maximum tuition and fee amounts for 2002-2003 were the same as those awarded under the Cal Grant A program.)

Loans vs. Grants


A Federal subsidized educational loan is money borrowed to help assist students with low interest rate loans to help defray the educational costs. The Federal subsidized loans can be borrowed from different lenders and can be guaranteed by several state agencies throughout the United states. You will need to check with your college or university for a list of lenders and guarantors.

The loans must be paid back after you graduate from college or drop below a half time status. Your loans can be deferred during some periods while you are in attendance in school and most loans have a grace period before you begin to repay. You may wish to go to EDFUND to see more about the loans they guarantee. They may be contacted by going to .


The Cal Grant is different in that you do not have to pay back the grant. Both the grant and loan are used for the purpose of assisting students, who demonstrate financial need, with tuition costs to attend a college, university or private post secondary institution.

Each student should look into the grant programs both federal and state first and if you demonstrate further financial need, then you can explore subsidizing your educational costs with student loans.

Don't Fall for Scholarship Scams: Applying for financial aid is free!! You will only need to fill out a FAFSA application. Be wary of companies offering to find scholarships for you for a fee. Go to to learn more about scholarship scams. You can actually search for free online or go to your local library for a list of scholarships. Check out these websites.. - This is a free scholarship search site. You fill out an online profile and they look for scholarships that fit your profile. They give you a "mailbox" and as time goes by they'll put scholarship applications (or letters about them) in your mailbox.

Financial Aid Calculators - The most popular calculators are the College Cost Projector, Savings Plan Designer , Financial Aid Estimation Calculator and Loan Payment Calculator.

Americorps - This explains the volunteer programs of service to America, like VISTA and The National Civilian Community Corps. Americorps workers also work for Habitat for Humanity, the Red Cross andBoys and Girls Clubs. It is a great program for those who are really interested in doing something for the country as a civilian

Selective Service Registration
In order to receive any government backed loans, all 18 year old males must register with the selective service. Might as well do it now!

Financing College

Don't let the high cost of college discourage you or your child. Numerous sources of financial aid can help you afford even the most expensive schools. In fact, nearly half of all college students receive some financial aid. The key is to start saving and researching now. Consider the types of college your child might attend (public, private, urban, rural), the requirements of your potential major (books, supplies), and living costs (housing, transportation, food). Estimate your child's financial needs, and begin saving money each month. Many banks offer special college savings accounts.

Financial Aid

You and your child can apply for several types of aid from federal and state agencies, private foundations, and colleges.

Federal Student Aid, a part of the U.S. Department of Education, is the largest provider of student financial aid in the nation and should be the first stop for students seeking financial aid. By completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), students are considered for federal student aid. Many other financial aid programs require that students first fill out the FAFSA (including Cal Grants). To fill out the FAFSA, you will also need to complete the application for a Federal Student Aid PIN.

The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) is the principal state agency responsible for administering financial aid programs for students attending California colleges and universities. Students can apply for the Cal Grant program and several other financial aid programs through the CSAC website.

Undocumented students who are eligible for AB 540 are now eligible to receive financial aid from the State of California. To apply for California State aid, AB 540 students must complete the California Dream Act Application and the Cal Grant GPA Verification process. More information on AB540. Educators for Fair Consideration (E4FC) also provides college information and scholarships for undocumented students.

LA Cash for College provides free assistance to Los Angeles students and familes applying for federal and state financial aid. Visit their website to find out more about the workshops and other services they offer.

Many colleges and universities also provide financial aid to their students. You should ask each college on your list what their financial aid policies are and what it takes to apply for financial aid. Many colleges will require that you fill out the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE before applying for financial aid.


Scholarships are awarded to students based on several criteria. Your child can receive a scholarship for academics, athletics, community service, and many other endeavors. is a great Web site to search for scholarship opportunities. Your child can fill out an online profile and the website will match their profile with potential scholarships. The Minority Scholarship Search allows students to search for scholarships that are open to students of their race. Other organizations that offer college scholarships include:

Policies & Forms

Student Policy Manual (English)

Download the 2018-2019 Student Policy Manual here>>

Student Policy Manual (Spanish)

Uniform Policy

Students are to concentrate on cleanliness, neatness, good taste, and safety. The regulations listed below are to be observed by all students at all times.

  •  Navy Blue Polo Shirts with AVCHS logo. Shirt must be TUCKED-IN at all times.
  • PLAIN Khaki Colored Pants:  permitted materials- twill, jean/denim, and corduroy
  • PLAIN Khaki Colored Shorts/Skirts (must be no more than 4 inches above the knee; leggings/hosiery may be worn under skirts/shorts; they must be PLAIN  NAVY Blue or Grey)
  • Other Clothing/Accessories must be PLAIN NAVY Blue, or Grey (i.e., beanies,undershirts, coats, sweatshirts, belts, and leggings).

* Accredited College sweatshirts/jackets are permitted IN ANY color (On the 10th and 23rd of every month).

PLAIN is defined as a SOLID color. This means that Clothing/Accessories should contain NO:

  • logos larger than 1-inch
  • patterns
  • holes
  • spikes
  • rips
  • cut-outs

Banned/Not Allowed

  • Leggings as pants
  • *Baseball Hats
  • Open-toed shoes
  • **Chains
  • **Sexually Explicit/Gang Related/Tagging/Drug Related Clothing or Accessories (including backpacks)

* Will result in immediate confiscation and a 30 minute detention to be served prior to the return of the item.
**Will result in immediate confiscation and will NOT be returned.

Casual Dress Days

The Principal authorizes and approves all Casual Dress Days. Casual Dress days are every 1st and 3rd Friday of the month.

  1. Boys and girls are permitted to wear casual pants, including clean and untorn jeans.
  2. Boys and girls are permitted to wear T-shirts, sweatshirts or other casual shirts/blouses provided they are modest and do not make reference to drugs, alcoholic beverages, taverns, offensive activities or hard rock concerts, etc. “Double meaning” T-shirts are not permitted. At no time for boys and girls are midriff T-shirts, sweatshirts or other casual shirts/blouses to be worn as well as clothing that exposes the midriff (stomach/waist).
  3. Girls may wear casual slacks, skirts, shorts and skorts and appropriate blouses.  Skirts and skorts are not permitted if they are shorter than the uniform skirts and skorts.
  4. Sandals are not permitted for either boys or girls.
  5. Neither boys nor girls are permitted to wear caps or hats. Hats are not to be worn during class period.
  6. Any student who has doubt about what to wear should simply not wear it.
Clothing for Dances

The Free Dress Day guidelines are to be followed for all informal dances. For formal dances, appropriate clothing is required. Formal dresses must be mid thigh or longer.  Clothing must not reveal undergarments. Slits anywhere on the dress cannot be higher than the thumbs when hands are kept at the side. Formal attire includes tuxes, suits, or dress pants with a suit coat. A long sleeve collared dress shirt with a tie must at least be worn. Dress pants must be long. No cut-offs, shorts, or sweat suits. If a student is not dressed in appropriate formal dance attire, the student will be sent home and no refunds will be given.

Electronics Policy

Electronics are not permitted during the hours of 8:00am- dismissal

Classroom Resources for Students

AP US History

Dear AP Student,

Welcome to Advanced Placement United States History at Animo Venice Charter High School. You have chosen to be part of a college level course that you will find both rewarding and rigorous. You are here because your teachers believed in your ability and commitment to learning.

Linked below is your summer assignment which must be completed and returned by the assigned due date. Do not procrastinate!

If you misplace or lose your reading, you can email Mr. Ramirez at

Summer Assignment

Required Resources:

English Literature

Additional student resources for Ms. Stone's Eng. 11 or AP English class:



Follow us:

Ánimo Venice Charter High School

820 Broadway St
Venice, CA 90291

Phone: (310) 392-8751 ext 1104

Principal: Julio Mucia