We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population of Watts, California. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life.
A Message from the Principal
Welcome to Ánimo James B. Taylor Charter Middle School! As part of Green Dot Public Schools, we strive to provide a quality education and prepare all students for college, leadership, and life. Ánimo James B. Taylor Charter Middle School is a free, public charter middle school. We proudly serve the Watts and surrounding community, providing high quality, public, 6th - 8th grade college-ready education.
Ánimo James B. Taylor (AJBT) is one of Green Dot’s leading middle schools. Founded in 2013, we pride ourselves on building a culture and environment that embodies and symbolizes the feeling of “family”, and believe that “greatness” lives within the AJBT walls. Students know and feel that their teachers care, and the community at large works seamlessly with teachers and staff to promote growth and success. The Ánimo James B. Taylor family is Teamstrong, and we are interested in showing you just what “greatness” can be.
Whether you're a parent looking for a new school for your child, a community member, or an educator looking for a great school to work with, we are eager to hear from you and are happy to answer any questions you have.
Join us for Coffee with the Principal meetings, every 1st Tuesday of the month from at 9:00am.
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
Dr. Cristina de Jesus
News and Announcements
- Tiana Diggs: Leading with Love and High ExpectationsFew people are surprised that Tiana Diggs is now a principal at the school where her teaching career began. Though if you asked Diggs if she ever imagined that she’d be a principal the answer might surprise you. “Absolutely not, I don’t know if that sounds crazy but I didn’t,” laughed Tiana Diggs, Principal at Ánimo James ... read more
- Green Dot Students Outpace State in Student Growth and Proficiency ImprovementsGreen Dot’s students across Los Angeles, from Boyle Heights and Compton to Inglewood and Venice, are achieving breakthrough academic progress according to the newly-released results of state academic assessments in English and Math. “We’re incredibly proud that our class of 2020, who took the statewide exams last spring, outpaced statewide cohort growth by 40% in English and ... read more
- Why We Celebrate Our Teachers Every dayMagical, awe-inspiring, caring, dedicated, and motivating-- these are just a few words that describe Green Dot teachers. Today, we thank Green Dot educators for their unwavering belief in the potential of all students. They are true believers in and on the frontlines of our mission to prepare all students for college, leadership, and life. We are proud ... read more
- These Students are Closing Achievement Gaps in Reading — Here’s HowThough the school day is over, students at Ánimo James B. Taylor Charter Middle School (JBT) eagerly enter Krystle Braxton’s classroom. They quickly sign in, grab Kindle E-readers, and crowd around a table, eager to read and discuss the book of the month: A Wrinkle in Time. “As a lifelong reader and lover of literature, having the opportunity to further inspire students to embrace ... read more
- These Middle Schoolers are Un-BEE-lievable! Green Dot Hosts First Spelling BeeThis month students, families, and staff from all of Green Dot’s middle schools in California eagerly gathered in the Mark Taper Auditorium at the Los Angeles Central Public Library for Green Dot’s first network spelling bee. Erick Hernandez, a sixth grader at Ánimo Florence-Firestone Charter Middle School, earned first place after spelling the word “voracious” correctly and Luis Garay, a seventh grader at Ánimo ... read more
- Green Dot Students Outpace State in Student Growth and Proficiency Improvements