We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population of Watts, California. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life.
A Message from the Principal
Welcome to Ánimo James B. Taylor Charter Middle School! As part of Green Dot Public Schools, we strive to provide a quality education and prepare all students for college, leadership, and life. Ánimo James B. Taylor Charter Middle School is a free, public charter middle school. We proudly serve the Watts and surrounding community, providing high quality, public, 6th - 8th grade college-ready education.
Ánimo James B. Taylor (AJBT) is one of Green Dot’s leading middle schools. Founded in 2013, we pride ourselves on building a culture and environment that embodies and symbolizes the feeling of “family”, and believe that “greatness” lives within the AJBT walls. Students know and feel that their teachers care, and the community at large works seamlessly with teachers and staff to promote growth and success. The Ánimo James B. Taylor family is Teamstrong, and we are interested in showing you just what “greatness” can be.
Whether you're a parent looking for a new school for your child, a community member, or an educator looking for a great school to work with, we are eager to hear from you and are happy to answer any questions you have.
Join us for Coffee with the Principal meetings, every 1st Tuesday of the month from at 9:00am.
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
Dr. Cristina de Jesus
News and Announcements
- And the Winners of the Sixth Annual Golden Dot Awards Are…On May 5, 2018, eight Golden Dot Awards were given to staff who exemplify Green Dot Public Schools’ core values. The Golden Dot Awards highlighted educators and staff who demonstrate exceptional teaching, school leadership and support for our schools. The night’s awardees were selected from our more than 1,500 inspiring teachers, staff and administrators who serve Green Dot’s 13,800 students across California, Tennessee and ... read more
- ‘My Personal Hero’ by Vanessa CisnerosThis piece was part of the Ánimo Voices Writing Competition, which invited students to write about innovators, upstanders, visionaries, or rebels that have made a difference in their local or broader communities. The competition was an opportunity to motivate, recognize, and celebrate our strong student voices and writing skills. Untitled by Vanessa Cisneros, 7th grader, Ánimo James B. Taylor Charter Middle School Do you ever ... read more
- ‘Untitled’ by Patrick SandovalThis piece was part of the Ánimo Voices Competition, which invited students to write about innovators, upstanders, visionaries, or rebels that have made a difference in their local or broader communities. The competition was an opportunity to motivate, recognize, and celebrate our strong student voices through writing and art. Untitled by Patrick Sandoval, 7th grade, Ánimo James B. Taylor Charter Middle School The world is ... read more
- A Look Inside Green Dot’s In-House Administrator Credentialing Residency“I had been teaching for 11 years in another district, and I was very disheartened by the lack of leadership at my school,” recalled Kristina Brubaker, Administrator in Residence (AIR) at Green Dot Public Schools. Brubaker was no stranger to the complexities and challenges of being a school leader, and she understood that despite her time in ... read more
- CBS: Watts Teachers Turn To Bounce Bands To Help Bounce Grades And BehaviorCBS LA highlights Ánimo James B. Taylor Charter Middle School's use of bounce bands to help students with high energy remain focused and attentive in class. “They have all this energy. They don’t necessarily get to release it,” said Sara Rosati, a sixth-grade teacher at Ánimo James B. Taylor. Read the Full Story ... read more