A Message from the Principal
Dear Boxer Parents
It's my pleasure to welcome you to Oscar De la Hoya Animo Charter High School, home of the Boxers. Our school team is committed to providing a safe and intellectually challenging environment that will empower students to become problem solvers and innovative thinkers. Our successful efforts as a school have been recognized with several prestigious awards. We are proud to announce that we have received the California Distinguished School Award, and are ranked top one percent on US News. These are all wonderful honors that recognize the commitment and hard work of our staff, students, and parents. Our students’ success is our number one goal and these awards applaud our efforts.
Parents are highly encouraged to actively join our team by participating in our monthly “Coffee with the Principal,” joining our School Advisory Council, attending parent conferences, and by talking to the teacher about your child's progress and how you can help your child at home. The level of parent involvement is directly correlated to our high level of student success. Make it your goal this year to be actively involved in your child’s school.
The Boxer Family is committed to the success of all students. Learning and teaching is our business and we are determined to be the best that we can be. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make this year a more successful and memorable school year for your child.
In conclusion, I wish you all a wonderful school year. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. My door is always open. firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Kathya Arriaran-Buono
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
Dr. Cristina de Jesus
News & Announcements
For 17 years, Green Dot Public Schools has dedicated itself to creating positive, academically rigorous public schools in neighborhoods across the country that are in highest need of quality school options. We are proud of the work we’ve done to serve high school and middle school students in Los Angeles, Memphis, and Tacoma. This week we…
Latest Updates from ODLHA
- How This Student Grew Eight Grade Levels in English in Three YearsThis piece is part of Faces of Growth, a series of profiles that underscore the importance of looking at student performance and school effectiveness through the lens of growth, and not just absolute achievement. This series provides an opportunity to celebrate our students’ hard work and our educators’ tireless dedication.... read more
- Green Dot Students Dive Into Data to Propose Changes Across the CityThis winter, Green Dot students from Ánimo Jackie Robinson (AJR), Ánimo Ralph Bunche (ARB), and Oscar De La Hoya Ánimo (ODLH) Charter High Schools participated in Los Angeles City Controller Ron Galperin’s L.A. DataFest competition. The competition matches high school students with UCLA mentors and teaches them how to work with city data to address issues affecting Los ... read more
- Ten Green Dot Schools Win Student Growth Awards from CORE DistrictsLast week, several schools in the Green Dot Public Schools California network were announced as recipients of the CORE Districts’ Academic Growth Awards. These awards honor schools having the greatest impact on student achievement. Most notably, Ánimo Western Charter Middle School was recognized for three years of high impact growth in English Language Arts. According to CORE, ... read more
- Green Dot Joins Thousands of Parents to Rally Ahead of Charter MoratoriumYesterday hundreds of parents and students from Green Dot Public Schools joined thousands more from across the city to demand that Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) board members vote “no” on a resolution to call for a statewide moratorium on authorizing new charter schools. Although the school board was ultimately not responsive to the cries of those parents and passed the resolution, we will not give ... read more
- Perry Shields: Journey of a Second Career Teacher“I’m 57 years old, and I’m in my twelfth year of teaching -- I’m late to this,” chuckled Perry Shields, drama teacher at Oscar De La Hoya Ánimo Charter High School (ODLH). Shields doesn't mind that his teaching career began later on, as he’s been able to bring his life experiences and passions into his role as an educator. In the 21 years ... read more
2018 Graduation Photos
- Green Dot Students Dive Into Data to Propose Changes Across the City