We're providing digital learning & devices for every student. Our schools will continue distance learning through at least October 9, 2020.
Aprendizaje digital y dispositivos para cada estudiante. Nuestras escuelas continuarán el aprendizaje a distancia hasta al menos el 9 de octubre de 2020.
We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population in the Boyle Heights neighborhood of East Los Angeles. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life.
A Message from the Principal
The goal of the Ánimo Ellen Ochoa Charter Middle school team is to strengthen our community and work hard in making our families partners in their child’s education. This is more important now, as we are facing so many challenges. During this pandemic, AEO has continued to serve the families of East Los Angeles and surrounding neighborhoods assuring that all students have access to technology and a quality education. It is our mission that all students are culminating from AEO not only ready for the challenges of high school, but ready for the demands of what they will face in college, leadership and life. The work of transforming public education and empowering the community is not done alone. You are an important part in making this a reality for your child, and we eagerly look forward to working with you and your family. The road to college starts at AEO, and together we can assure that your child will be successful in middle school and beyond.
-Cynthia Ybarra, Principal of Ánimo Ellen Ochoa
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
Dr. Cristina de Jesus
News & Announcements
English Español English Español
Downloadable version Hello AEO Family! My name is Jacqueline Cuevas, and I am excited to introduce myself as your new Parent Coordinator! I wanted to take the time to tell you more about myself, and along with your help my plans for this school year. After graduating from Animo Venice, I attended San Diego State,…
Ánimo Ellen Ochoa will have Picture Day on August 31, 2018. How to order photos online before Picture Day: Go to http://mylifetouch.com Enter Picture Day ID: MH01814270 Order your perfect package, and don’t worry about returning anything on Picture Day Questions? Please call 1-800-736-4753 We look forward to seeing your smiling faces! Ya llega el…
“Every day that we come to school, the adults on campus remind us that education is important, and that it will provide us with a better future,” recalled Jesse Alejo, eighth grader at Ánimo Ellen Ochoa Charter Middle School (AEO). The teachers, staff, and principal at AEO have been steadfast in creating a rigorous, college-going culture…
Our Cultural Diversity Event is approaching! Join us on the AEO campus for a showcase, scavenger hunt, snacks, and a raffle. We ask for your kind donations to make this event a success. We need: Chips Popcorn Dessert (cupcakes, cheesecake, flan, etc.) Napkins Plates For questions/donations, please see Ms. Risberg or Ms. Guzman-Lopez Thursday, March…
Mr. Limon’s Inter-Stellar 7th Grade Mathematicians Download your copy of Mr. Limon’s newsletter here >>
Latest Updates from AEO
- For the Love of Soccer: Seeing Beyond VictoryLast spring, Ánimo Ellen Ochoa Charter Middle School (AEO) students hoped to participate in Green Dot’s Ánimo Cup, an intramural soccer tournament for teams in Green Dot’s network of schools. There was just one problem: they didn’t have a coach. Weeks before the competition, they turned to Julio Alvarado, AEO’s Office Assistant and a lifelong soccer player. “Soccer is my passion. Growing up it helped ... read more
- ‘Untitled’ by Libni RojasThis piece was part of the Ánimo Voices Competition, which invited students to write about innovators, upstanders, visionaries, or rebels that have made a difference in their local or broader communities. The competition was an opportunity to motivate, recognize, and celebrate our strong student voices through writing and art. Untitled by Libni Rojas, 8th grader, Ánimo Ellen Ochoa Charter Middle School My mother is a ... read more
- ‘Untitled’ by Angela ChavezThis piece was part of the Ánimo Voices Writing Competition, which invited students to write about innovators, upstanders, visionaries, or rebels that have made a difference in their local or broader communities. The competition was an opportunity to motivate, recognize, and celebrate our strong student voices and writing skills. Untitled by Angela Chavez, 8th grader, Ánimo Ellen Ochoa Charter Middle School Laverne Cox is an ... read more
- Middle Schoolers Take College Classes at Ánimo Ellen Ochoa“Every day that we come to school, the adults on campus remind us that education is important, and that it will provide us with a better future,” recalled Jesse Alejo, eighth grader at Ánimo Ellen Ochoa Charter Middle School (AEO). The teachers, staff, and principal at AEO have been steadfast in creating a rigorous, college-going culture that ... read more
- Middle School After School Programs: the Risk of Cutting Back Expanded LearningAt Green Dot Public Schools, we view after school programs as an extension of the academic day. Many of our students are entering our schools significantly behind grade level. While we strategically schedule classes to provide appropriate interventions, our after school programs provide middle school and high school students with a space for additional support and academic enrichment. This is why we refer ... read more