About Mae Jemison
Ánimo Mae Jemison is a co-educational charter middle school serving 6th - 8th grade students of the Watts and Compton communities in South Los Angeles. Our charter was approved by Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) in 2014, and we are proud to enter our fifth year of operation. We are proudly named after Dr. Mae Jemison, physician, engineer, and the first African American woman astronaut. Our vision unifies us around a common aspirational goal:
At Ánimo Mae Jemison, we are a constellation of learners working to forge an equitable future for our school and community. Together, we imagine, we explore, we persist, we challenge, and we support each other to set our expectations in the sky.
- Animo Mae Jemison (AMJ) charter is approved by LAUSD, school begins with a 6th grade class
- The founding principal is Meghan Schooler and the founding assistant principal is Ana Dias
- AMJ doubles in size, serving both 6th and 7th graders
- AMJ reaches 450 students, serving students in 6th-8th grades and promoting its first 8th grade class
- AMJ brings on a new assistant principal: Angela Rodriguez
- AMJ grows to 500 students, adding 3 bungalow classrooms
- AMJ brings on new principal Nate Geller and new (second) assistant principal Luz Reynozo
- AMJ earns preliminary WASC accreditation
- AMJ grows to 525 students, nearly reaching full capacity
- AMJ adds a full-time school psychologist, Jimesa Coxsey, to build out its mental health support structure
- AMJ adopts a new vision and logo and updates exterior and interior spaces
- AMJ is granted charter renewal through 2024!
- AMJ grows to 540 students, reaching full capacity
- AMJ cheer team looks to defend its title after winning 1st place in regional, state, and national competitions
- AMJ adds a full-time instructional aide to build out supports for the special education team
- AMJ welcomes a new Assistant Principal, Mike Curry to the team!
About Green Dot
Green Dot Public Schools is a non-profit organization whose mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership and life.
Unique in the nation for a major non-profit charter management organization, Green Dot is proving it can achieve better student outcomes with the same student population, lower per pupil funding than the district and a unionized workforce. We are the leading charter school operator in Los Angeles and one of the top three largest in the nation.