Our school is currently providing instruction through distance learning. We are also offering limited in-person instruction using a hybrid learning model for select grades. Distance Learning Bell Schedule >> ;Hybrid Learning Bell Schedule >>
Nuestra escuela actualmente brinda instrucción a distancia. También ofrecemos instrucción en persona utilizando un modelo de aprendizaje híbrido para el noveno grado. Modelo híbrido >> ; Aprendizaje a distancia>>
A Message from the Principal
Welcome to Ánimo Florence-Firestone!
We are a public charter school that is free to attend and open to all. We are committed to building a small, safe school, where everyone knows your name. I have been working for the students and parents of South Los Angeles since 2001 and I was previously the principal at Ánimo Pat Brown Charter High School, an award-winning school in the Florence-Firestone neighborhood. I am excited to use what I learned to build a new, high-quality school where we care about each other, ourselves, our school, and our future.
Our highly qualified and diverse staff are excited to work together with parents and students to ensure that all of our students are prepared for High School, College, Leadership, and Life.
Join us on campus for Open House meetings. Call the front office to make an appointment.
President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools California
Dr. Cristina de Jesus
News & Announcements
Take the California Healthy Kids Survey
This is, and continues to be, an unexpected and ever-changing time for our entire community. With the recent closure of our schools, below is an update on how social-emotional health will be supported during this time due to the public health crisis created by COVID-19: Este es, y sigue siendo, un tiempo inesperado y siempre…
Lions Learn @home! Use these links to keep up with Read-180 and i-ready every day!
Latest Updates from AFF
- ‘Empty Hope’ by Joshua CamachoThis piece placed third for middle school writing submissions in the 2021 Ánimo Voices Writing and Art Competition, which invited students to express the reality of the challenges they or others face and/or how they or others find hope through difficult times. The competition is an opportunity to motivate, recognize, and celebrate our strong student voices through writing and art. ... read more
- ‘A Story To Be Told’ by Amy Manzo MendezThis piece placed first for middle school writing submissions in the 2020 Ánimo Voices Writing and Art Competition, which invited students to consider a change they’d like to see in their community or the world and to convince an audience, through any genre of writing or visual medium, of the importance of this change. The competition was an opportunity to motivate, recognize, and celebrate our strong student voices through writing and ... read more
- An Inside Look at Distance Learning at Ánimo Florence-FirestoneWhen school districts around the nation shifted to distance learning, we reimagined our learning environments. Through a 100% live distance learning model, digital tools, and collaboration, Ánimo Florence Firestone Charter Middle School has built a virtual launchpad to help our students succeed on their path to college. When Green Dot students attend their online classes, they receive at least three and a half hours of ... read more
- LAUSD Renewal of 7 Green Dot Schools Reaffirms Accountability and PerformanceAs Green Dot Public Schools celebrates 20 years of changing the odds for students, we are proud that seven of our schools received charter renewals from the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) Board of Education. On Tuesday, December 8, the board renewed Ánimo Florence-Firestone Charter Middle School, Ánimo James B. Taylor Charter Middle School, Ánimo Watts College Preparatory Academy, and Ánimo ... read more
- Growth Mindset: An Important Component of Student SuccessVincent Huynh's math classes may look different than they did last fall, but one thing remains the same: his commitment to developing growth mindsets and nurturing students' inherent capacity to learn. Throughout his career, the Animo Florence-Firestone Charter Middle School math teacher has heard the words ‘I hate math,’ or ‘I can’t do math’ countless times, but these statements only motivate him ... read more
- Five Glimpses into School Spirit During CovidIn these times of uncertainty, human connection is more important than ever. As distance learning continues, Green Dot educators have found new ways to spread hope and kindness in their school communities. This week, we’re highlighting a few ways that our schools have been staying connected and keeping school spirit high as we remain apart. ... read more
- Fight for JusticeJune 2, 2020 Green Dot family, Green Dot Public Schools California stands in solidarity with our community and nation today. We collectively share feelings of anger, frustration, and sadness. In the midst of the pandemic, several incidents have reminded us all that violence and racism continue to plague our country and undoubtedly weigh heavy on the hearts and minds of our Black scholars and families, as well as our Black colleagues. ... read more
- Writing: ‘A Story To Be Told’ by Amy Manzo MendezThis piece placed first for middle school writing submissions in the Ánimo Voices Writing and Art Competition, which invited students to consider a change they’d like to see in their community or the world and to convince an audience, through any genre of writing or visual medium, of the importance of this change. The competition was an opportunity to motivate, recognize, and celebrate our strong student voices through writing and art. ... read more
- Green Dot Students Outpace State in Student Growth and Proficiency ImprovementsGreen Dot’s students across Los Angeles, from Boyle Heights and Compton to Inglewood and Venice, are achieving breakthrough academic progress according to the newly-released results of state academic assessments in English and Math. “We’re incredibly proud that our class of 2020, who took the statewide exams last spring, outpaced statewide cohort growth by 40% in English and an astounding 74% in math” ... read more
- Making College Real: Why All Green Dot Schools Tour College CampusesAt Green Dot, college tours are a critical component of our students' path to higher education. Most importantly, exposing students to college campuses feeds a vision for their future, and allows them to imagine themselves walking the campus as a student one day. These trips also provide students with an opportunity to learn about life on a college campus, meet current students, ... read more
- Ánimo Florence-Firestone Students Are Coding to Solve Real-World ProblemsRebecca Rincon’s 21st Century Problem Solving class at Ánimo Florence-Firestone Charter Middle School goes beyond the typical math problems, and presents students with real-world problems and the tools to solve them. “We do a great job of getting students prepared for college and leadership. This course was a way to really focus on teaching students life skills early on so they feel confident in ... read more
- These Middle Schoolers are Un-BEE-lievable! Green Dot Hosts First Spelling BeeThis month students, families, and staff from all of Green Dot’s middle schools in California eagerly gathered in the Mark Taper Auditorium at the Los Angeles Central Public Library for Green Dot’s first network spelling bee. Erick Hernandez, a sixth grader at Ánimo Florence-Firestone Charter Middle School, earned first place after spelling the word “voracious” correctly and Luis Garay, a seventh grader ... read more
- In Response to the Charter MoratoriumEnglish Español English January 31, 2019 Dear Green Dot families, Tuesday was an important day for public charter schools in Los Angeles. Hundreds of Green Dot parents, students, teachers, staff and community partners joined thousands more in front of the LAUSD headquarters for a rally prior to the Board meeting where Trustees voted 5-1 in favor of a ... read more
- Ánimo Pat Brown’s New Building Strengthens the College PathwayThis fall, the Florence-Firestone community gathered to celebrate the groundbreaking of the new Ánimo Pat Brown Charter High School (APB) building. The community was overjoyed not just by the prospect of a new facility, but the sixth through twelfth grade pathway the new building will support. The new facility will be a close neighbor to Ánimo Florence Firestone Charter Middle School (AFF), which ... read more
- Ánimo Pat Brown’s New Building Strengthens the College PathwayThis fall, the Florence-Firestone community gathered to celebrate the groundbreaking of the new Ánimo Pat Brown Charter High School (APB) building. The community was overjoyed not just by the prospect of a new facility, but the sixth through twelfth grade pathway the new building will support. The new facility will be a close neighbor to Ánimo Florence Firestone Charter Middle School ... read more