About Mae Jemison
Animo Mae Jemison is a co-educational charter middle school located serving 6th - 8th grade students of the Watts and Compton communities in South Los Angeles. Our charter was approved by Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) in 2014, we promoted our first 8th grade class in the spring of 2017, and we are thrilled to begin our 4th year of operation in the 2017-18 school year. We are proudly named after Dr. Mae Jemison, physician, engineer, and the first African American woman astronaut.
- Animo Mae Jemison (AMJ) charter is approved by LAUSD, school begins with a 6th grade class
- The founding principal is Meghan Schooler and the founding assistant principal is Ana Dias
- AMJ doubles in size, serving both 6th and 7th graders
- AMJ reaches 450 students, serving students in 6th-8th grades and promoting its first 8th grade class
- AMJ brings on a new assistant principal: Angela Rodriguez
- AMJ grows to 500 students, adding 3 bungalow classrooms (in construction)
- AMJ brings on new principal Nate Geller and new (second) assistant principal Luz Reynozo
About Green Dot
Green Dot Public Schools is a non-profit organization whose mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership and life.
Unique in the nation for a major non-profit charter management organization, Green Dot is proving it can achieve better student outcomes with the same student population, lower per pupil funding than the district and a unionized workforce. We are the leading charter school operator in Los Angeles and one of the top three largest in the nation.